Got rid of the phone books, what should I do with all my blank CD cases?

Wilynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The apartment I rent down at the beach ain't no castle. It's not huge by any means. I am currently in a state of needing more room, I need as much space as I can get. That would include shelf space. I just made a major decision in my life. A huge decision. I threw my phone books away in the trash dumpster, both the white pages and the yellow pages. Both of those books took up a lot of space. No kidding, it took me months to finally make the decision to live a life without a phone book. I couldn't imagine going through life living without the Yellow Pages. So one day, after weeks of contemplating the issue, I swallowed hard and tossed them right into the trash. It's been about two weeks now and so far life has been manageable without a hard copy of the Yellow Pages. In the many years I owned a phone book, I never used the white pages, only the yellow pages, and I used the Yellow Pages alot. Of course now I use the Internet to aquire a local phone number.

And so now, just like the phone books, I have some more relics from the 90's that I don't know if I should part with: my music CD cases. They too take up a lot of space, all 68 of them. The CD cases are empty as I keep the discs, all 68 of them, in a photo album. All told I have approximately 68 blank CD cases sitting on my shelf. I'm afraid of parting with the cases not because I'm a pack rat, but because I don't know if sometime down the road I'll regret having discarded them.

And so I wonder, do you think I might I need them sometime down the road? Right now they're totally blank and all they do is sit on my shelf collecting dust taking up valuable space. What if I decide to sell the CD's? Do you think the buyer would want the original CD case? Or am I being naive' or foolish? Meaning, is there any point in even selling a CD, would that be pointless? If I was to try and sell them, might that be a waste of time, like trying to sell a second hand yo-yo to a quadraplegic? Maybe the CD's (with the musical CD inside the CD case) are worth only a buck or two on eBay or down at your local flea market?

I'm talking cases, blank cases that are empty, that house CD's of all types of music: classical, rock, country and rap music. What do you think? Please help me make a decision 'cause I really need the shelf space (real bad) but I don't want to make a mistake that I'll live to regret. Your opinion matters. (And no, I have no other place where I can keep them/store them. They either stay on the shelf or they have to go straight into the trash dumpster.)

Pic of the actual blank CD cases that are sitting on a shelf inside my apartment:

2902959282_2d7a7e8b0d.jpg

If you were going to sell your CDs, then it would probably be beneficial to have to cases (with the case inserts). I'm guessing you probably won't sell your CDs, so you might as well get rid of them. (recycle them, don't just trash them). If you are uncertain, maybe you should take the inserts out, they will take up a lot less room than the cases. You could even use the cases for other purposes, once they are empty.

I had the same problem with empty CD cases (but I had around 300 of them). I threw them away. That was about 2 years ago and I haven't regretted it yet.

Saving the inserts, like Big Mike said, might be a good Idea - I didn't think of that at the time, so they got thrown out too.

I had the same problem with empty CD cases (but I had around 300 of them). I threw them away. That was about 2 years ago and I haven't regretted it yet.
Saving the inserts, like Big Mike said, might be a good Idea - I didn't think of that at the time, so they got thrown out too.

You are the voice of experience and that's what I appreciate. Thanks for your post.

You must have a small place if a yellow pages is taking up valuable space! :)

i reckon choose your favourite ten cd's then give the rest to the charity shop. not worth selling them

I don't know if I could have thrown out the phone books though. I still have a phone book from every city I've lived in. Never know when you'll need the phone number to some place in your old town (sometimes hard to find online).

is this a common thing for people then? to collect phone books? don't think i ever had to use one, i just throw them out as soon as they get delivered.

save the booklets, the only remote chance i can figure it would be worthy to keep the cases is if by any chance in the future the cd has collectionable value, in that case the important thing is the printed material not the plastic case wich in this future scenario you could buy.

is this a common thing for people then? to collect phone books? don't think i ever had to use one, i just throw them out as soon as they get delivered.

They have their uses... Trying to find a camera shop where I live for example - it's a (kinda) small town, none of the stores here have a website so a phone book is the only way to find them.

Don't throw the CD cases away! Send them to me!

Seriously, I hate the CD albums. I prefer to have CD's, both music and computer data, in those ancient ugly clear plastic cases.

I had a CD album thingy once. My truck was broken into and along with about $5k worth of stereo equipment, the CD album was taken. Inside were 24 of my best CD's. This isn't why I don't like them though. What I did was pull all the inserts out and used the cases for my burned data CD's from the computer. I wish I had more empty CD cases because I have many CD's just lying around not in anything because I don't have a case or they only have the paper envelope thing.

They have their uses... Trying to find a camera shop where I live for example - it's a (kinda) small town, none of the stores here have a website so a phone book is the only way to find them.

i used to like trying to rip them in half when i was a kid. like those strongest men contests on tv... that was fun :)

Don't most 'yellow pages' have websites now anyway. So even if a business doesn't have a website, you can usually find the phone number & address with the yellow pages website or a 'business finder' type site.

I haven't thrown mine out but I really never used it.

(and make sure to recycle your phone books, don't just throw them out)

Most reactions

Back