Got some money for new Lens and Flash

BrianLy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you buy used you'll be able to get all 3 for $500 if you are patient and willing to drive. On various forums and craigslist I've had opportunities to buy the 55-200 for $150-160, the 35mm 1.8 for $165, and about the same on the sb-600 if I'm willing to drive up to an hour to chicago (you being in a major area already distance wouldn't be as great, don't know about time). The sb-600 does go up to around 180 much more often, but there have been a few chances at less.

If you can afford and are willing to front the money you can get package deals then sell off the other pieces and be left with what you want for very cheap (if you are quick enough and get a big enough kit sometimes you can be left with what you want for free). For instance, on craigslist I've seen a D-200, 18-200mm lens, and SB-600 for around $1100. You can sell the body and lens for $500 NO problem, more on the lens, then be left with an sb-600 for $100.

May not even have to go to craigslist: http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DN079990928120?r=FE 55-200mm VR for $150 used. The used 35mm 1.8 used is NOT a good deal (185 vs 200, for $15 get it new and actually have a warranty or used online and save $20).

Last edited:
I am the type of guy that will not buy use things, so I won't be looking into use products.

My parents just gave me $500 because of my grades, and I want to know which lens would be best for me to get next. There is two on my mind and I would like some help choosing the right one, I do like taking portraits and cars. Here are the two lens that I like, Nikon | AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED | 2166
Nikon | AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens | 2183 | B&H Photo Video I also want to buy a SB 600.

what are you looking to be shooting? I have both those lenses and like them both. the zoom would obviously be great when you want to get a closer look at something far away, or when shooting sports or something like that. the 35mm prime is also really awesome to shoot indoors without flash, and gets you a much shallower DOF than what you could get with the lens you have right now. I think both are good choices, just depends on what you will be shooting.

I really shoot a lot of indoor and sport, but when I say sport its just some casual rolling shots of friends' cars and at car shows. Unless you think I should get both of them and hold off on the flash?

well then do you have a lot of need for more zoom? at car shows it seems like you would be shooting at a fairly wide angle unless you were really trying to get only a small portion of the car.

i don't have any experience with a flash unit like the SB-600... so can't help there. again i guess it depends what you will be shooting. Indoors i think the flash would be very useful.

Ditch the flash for now. You can take amazing shots with fast lens without flash.

why not buy used? Everything i have is used, and it all works flawlessly. I got a nikon d200, 19000 actuations and looks brand new, with an 18-135 which looks brand new, for 600. I then got a 105mm 2.8 macro for 440, used, but looks and works like its new. And recently, a nikon 50mm 1.8 for 80, and it looks brand new. Why buy new, when you can save a TON on gear. Get more for your money. Just be careful of where you buy. Thats all.

I am the type of guy that will not buy use things, so I won't be looking into use products.
You help the environment, by buying used products.

You save money, by buying used products, so you can other used products.

You help the economy, by buying used products.

Ditch the flash for now. You can take amazing shots with fast lens without flash.
But will have difficulty filling foreground shadows and separating your subject from the background.

One of the main things that makes pro photos, look like pro photos, is strobed light (flash).

Well I been through a lot of experience with use stuff. So I do not want to go back too.

My parents just gave me $500 because of my grades, and I want to know which lens would be best for me to get next. There is two on my mind and I would like some help choosing the right one, I do like taking portraits and cars. Here are the two lens that I like, Nikon | AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED | 2166
Nikon | AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens | 2183 | B&H Photo Video I also want to buy a SB 600.

For $500 you can buy a new sigma 10-20mm from china... you'll just have to wait 5 weeks or so for it to arrive.

You should really reconsider your bias against used items, especially since you're not loaded with $$. Ebay buyer protection is in many ways better then what you receive from some retail stores.

If I am saving over $50 I might consider it but anything under 50 then I might as well buy use.

Brian.. sorry has to say it.. it is "used" not "use". English is not my first language.

Most reactions

Back