Got to play with the a77 today

That one isn't being made anymore.

I bought the a77! I looked for reasons that I SHOULDN'T buy it. .. couldn't find one! Besides, it was pretty much love at first sight :)

Any update on how you are finding the A77? I am really torn between it and the Nikon 7100. I am finding it hard to find people that know much about the Sony.

I bought the a77! I looked for reasons that I SHOULDN'T buy it. .. couldn't find one! Besides, it was pretty much love at first sight :)

Any update on how you are finding the A77? I am really torn between it and the Nikon 7100. I am finding it hard to find people that know much about the Sony.
All Sony modern DSLR cameras have the transparent mirror technology which means you loos 1/3 of stop with every picture and that means the D7100 is better then the a77 in low light situation.

All Sony modern DSLR cameras have the transparent mirror technology which means you loos 1/3 of stop with every picture and that means the D7100 is better then the a77 in low light situation.

Is there a way to counteract this with the Sony?

Nope its Sony inovative design, for good and bad.

The HandHeld Low Light mode will take multiple exposures and recombine them for noise reduction. It works pretty well for static shoots.

http://kolia.smugmug.com/Friends-and-Family/Pumpkin-Show-2012/i-PtnmWHs/0/L/_DSC8369-L.jpg

The HandHeld Low Light mode will take multiple exposures and recombine them for noise reduction. It works pretty well for static shoots.

http://kolia.smugmug.com/Friends-and-Family/Pumpkin-Show-2012/i-PtnmWHs/0/L/_DSC8369-L.jpg

Thats a great photo is that your wife and baby? Most of my low light shooting would be inside a house, curtains closed and warm lighting from lamps etc

Wife and son. Thanks.

The a77 isn't the best at noise reduction when shooting RAW. I don't know how it compares with the Nikon tho.

Either camera will be limited by the kit lens when shooting indoors. Plan on getting a faster lens.

Keep in mind that 1/3 of a stop means 1/6 of the light. The same difference between shooting at 1/50 vs 1/60 second. Having the image stabilization in the Sony body will mean that you will have the opportunity to shoot at a slower speed.

So although it is a limitation, it's not that big of an issue.

Wife and son. Thanks.

The a77 isn't the best at noise reduction when shooting RAW. I don't know how it compares with the Nikon tho.

Either camera will be limited by the kit lens when shooting indoors. Plan on getting a faster lens.

The Nikon has slightly more noise at ISO 1600 according to test shots. The A77 because it has no flipping mirror makes possible handheld shots at slower shutter speeds since there is no mirror vibration, which compensates for the 1/3 stop less light. Burst shooting by the way tends to stop action at slightly slower shutter speeds than single shot.

Of course, if you are shooting fast moving kids indoors, a flash with a diffuser may be the best option.

Most reactions

Back