Gotta get with the program- seek 1st digital outfit

CalPhotoGal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ah, but how I miss the luscious fumes of yesteryear, the hours of dark stillness and being blind for several more once I hit daylight.... but the time has come, for lack of readily available darkrom resources and sheer expense, to break down and get me a dang digital camera!

So, I have done some homework, but because I am an admitted neophyte to digitalrama, I thought I'd go to those in the know instead of wandering open-jawed and glassy-eyed around the net any more.

This is the deal: I'll start by spending about $600. I want the finest, strongest, user-friendliest, neato camera out there that will do mini videos in addition to fine still work. Is there such an animal? What might I steer towards first?

Thanks in advance for the fab advice I know I'll get here (and I have no prejudices yet, so it's open season!) :hail:

NB I have Photoshop Ele. 2 and am teaching myself how to use it- with websites' assist at times- practice makes perfect, of course..

I'm not totally familiar with the current market, however, a friend of mine purchased a Kodak 6490 for about 500.00 (including extras) from Circuit City and the pictures from it are very impressive. My first digital was a Kodak as well and it was a great, easy to use camera that kept my interest until I invested in a D70.

Good luck

Welcome to the forum.

I know you said that you only want to spend $600...and you also said you want a camera that will capture video as well as still images....but...

I always like to recommend a digital SLR over a digital compact point & shoot style camera. The reasons are many...and coming from a film background, you might appreciate the differences that a DSLR offers over a p&s digi-cam.

Sure the price is higher, but you can get a Canon Digital Rebel kit for $1000 US. This will be vastly superior to any p&s...even ones with more mega pixels. I like to say 10 times the camera for only twice the price.

An SLR system will allow for much more expandability. You can purchase additional lenses as your needs and budget allows. Not too mention all of the other accessories. Also, lenses are a good investment, even when the DSLR camera body becomes obsolete, the lenses will most likely still be useful or at least have some value. A p&s camera will be obsolete and lose most of it's resale value.

The biggest difference, IMO, is the sensor size. A DSLR has a sensor that is much bigger than the ones that are in the compact cameras. A bigger sensor means a better image, with less noise...especially at higher ISO settings. Most digi-cams produce a lot of noise at ISO 200-400...effectively crippling one of the parameters of
exposure.

Shutter lag. The delay from the time you press the button...to the time the image is captured...it excruciatingly long with most p&s digi-cams. The better ones are faster but still not up to par with a true SLR. If action shots are on your adgenda...you will be disappointed by a digi-cam.

Sorry for getting up on my soap box but as you see by SWFLA1 (and many others)....they eventually upgraded from their digital p&s to a DSLR.

If reading Big Mike's post hasn't convinced you to get a DSLR, then you can browse reviews and specs of digital point and shoot cameras (as well as dslrs) at www.dpreview.com

Don't forget to factor in the price of rechargable batteries, which are a must, and memory cards.

Thanks guys, especially Big Mike. I thought I'd get this answer probably- and know with my experience, no point and shoot could probably be adequate, and the extra dough IS worth it. I guess I was so naive as to think that you could get a fine DSLR under a grand and that some accessory allowed motion work. DUH!!!! (now I know why I couldn't find the beast!)

Since I am not a movie maker, but just want the basic capability, I'll get a cheapie (and they can be very cheap!) p&s vidcam for the rare need and start off right with a nice, versatile DSLR bod and lenses esp. as suggested. I have like 10 or so lenses for my ancient Olympus workhouse- which I bought over many moons- so I know the trip.

Now, can you, Mike, or anyone suggest some other good DSLRs I should consider? And as I am in Florida right now, from whom should I buy in the Tampa area, if anyone? Or should I go net shopping exclusively????

Thanks for the highly informative stuff, esp. you Big Mike, for the time you took in replying!!! :cheers:

:cheers: Hey no problem...this is what forums are for. :D

The best entry level DSLRs (IMO) are the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70. The D70 is slightly more expensive but is slightly more capable. The image quality is quite close and there are a million discussions on the internet comparing the two. The best way to choose (IMO) is to look at the system that you will be buying into. If you like Canon lenses & other cameras...go with that. If Nikon is more to your liking...go with that. In practical terms, Canon & Nikon are pretty much the same.

There are some other DSLR from Pentax, Olympus etc.

There is a way to get added value from the Digital Rebel if you are so inclined. That camera is basically a handicapped version of the Canon 10D (which has since been replaced with the 20D). To handicap it, Canon simply turned off a bunch of features. There is a firmware hack available on the internet that will allow you to 'unlock' most of the features.

Something to keep in mind is that there is a big Camera convention in February, I think it's in Los Vegas. I'm thinking that Canon will announce a replacement for the digital Rebel...that's just a hunch I have. So if that does happen, there will be a better camera available at an entry level price...and you may be able to get a good deal on a current digital Rebel...as stores clear the shelves for the new one.

Just saw this post, and thought I might add, I am also on a current hunt for a digital rebel and you can actually find one in your price range!!! I've found a rebel body for around 400 or the kit for around 500 :) Not to shabby...just do some internet searching :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back