Graduated ND Filter - Which one?

get a Cokin P series set. they are frequently out of stock though. You need to get the adapter for whatever diameter of thread your lens has. I bought two grad filters and the holder and adapter for 77M for lik 60 bucks i think. They typically have the individuals in stock. Just not the sets.

H250 Cokin ND Graduated Filter Kit P Series, with Filter Holder & Graduated ND Filters #121L, 121M, 121S)

I know they're graduated, but if you wanted to use a full ND filter are you able to pull them down using the holder to cover the entire lens (so in effect they work as graduated and full?)

Well it would still be graduated, but yes you can slide them to determine where the effect starts. They do sell solid ND filters that fit this also though. You can also rotate the whole thing. Lets say the sun is in the up right corner of the pic, you can angle the graduated filter so it darkens towards that corner. There are many kinds of the filter glass plates for this holder setup. Some are soft and more gradual, some are hard ( abrupt change ). There are many other filter types that fit this holder as well so you just buy the glass plates to swap out. You can also stack them ( not that I recommend it ) because the holder will hold a couple of the glass plates I think.

Thats the benefit of this system compared to conventional fixed filters.

Thanks for that, are they all Grad grey filters? I live in the UK where did you purchase them from?

I live in the US, but I just got mine from Amazon.

Many, not all, of the Cokin filters are "Grey Grads"... which are denounced by some on the grounds that they add color casts to the photograph. While I can't say that the concept behind that argument is entirely false, I also can't say I've ever really noticed such an effect unless I stack multiple GNDs at once. The colors come out just fine.

I know they're graduated, but if you wanted to use a full ND filter are you able to pull them down using the holder to cover the entire lens (so in effect they work as graduated and full?)

Taylor510ce covered most of this, really. But I'll add that he is correct about the holder... the one I use can hold three filters at once. I believe that Cokin also makes a holder that can accomodate 4 or 5, though I can't really think of a scenario in which that would really be necessary.

Also, in order to position a GND such that it would act as a flat ND, your GND plate would have to be really tall... especially for wide-angle shots. The Cokin P-series-sized filters aren't tall enough to do this. You'll need a regular ND for that effect. Personally, I prefer to use regular screw-in ND filters. While the rectangular Grad NDs work very well, they are also, in my experience, more prone to creating chromatic aberrations and lens flare than ordinary screw-on filters. So, for something like an ND filter which works great in a screw-on type (unlike screw-on GNDs), I prefer the round filters.

But, like Taylor mentioned, the Cokin "Creative System" is specifically designed for layering multiple filters while eliminating the need for stacking conventional screw-on filters. The whole contraption is bit unwieldy though, so I really only pull it out for shots that need a GND. In all other circumstances, I use round, screw-on filters.

Thanks for that, are they all Grad grey filters? I live in the UK where did you purchase them from?

Many, not all, of the Cokin filters are "Grey Grads"... which are denounced by some on the grounds that they add color casts to the photograph. While I can't say that the concept behind that argument is entirely false, I also can't say I've ever really noticed such an effect unless I stack multiple GNDs at once. The colors come out just fine.

Taylor510ce covered most of this, really. But I'll add that he is correct about the holder... the one I use can hold three filters at once. I believe that Cokin also makes a holder that can accomodate 4 or 5, though I can't really think of a scenario in which that would really be necessary.

Also, in order to position a GND such that it would act as a flat ND, your GND plate would have to be really tall... especially for wide-angle shots. The Cokin P-series-sized filters aren't tall enough to do this. You'll need a regular ND for that effect. Personally, I prefer to use regular screw-in ND filters. While the rectangular Grad NDs work very well, they are also, in my experience, more prone to creating chromatic aberrations and lens flare than ordinary screw-on filters. So, for something like an ND filter which works great in a screw-on type (unlike screw-on GNDs), I prefer the round filters.

But, like Taylor mentioned, the Cokin "Creative System" is specifically designed for layering multiple filters while eliminating the need for stacking conventional screw-on filters. The whole contraption is bit unwieldy though, so I really only pull it out for shots that need a GND. In all other circumstances, I use round, screw-on filters.

Thanks guys for the help, once again. The screw on filters, will cheap ebay ones suffice for now? (My funds are extremely limited) Since I'd have to buy 9 in total (2, 4 and 8 stops for 3 lens sizes). Any you can recommend?

Thanks guys for the help, once again. The screw on filters, will cheap ebay ones suffice for now? (My funds are extremely limited) Since I'd have to buy 9 in total (2, 4 and 8 stops for 3 lens sizes). Any you can recommend?

thats the other benefit of the P System. You just buy different adapters, but the actual glass and holder is universal with the adapters. So its the same. Less crap to carry and a little cheaper that way. I wouldn't go too cheap on filters. They can really hinder your images.

I really want to get the cokin set, for the price and apparent quality.
2 things that stick out that are holding me back at the moment.
Chromatic abberation? Is this a serious issue with these? Does it happen a lot?
Also, wide angle lenses, how do these perform? Are they big enough to fit round a lens with a circumference of 70mm plus (with the adapter)

Yeah, I use mine on a 77mm without a problem although I have not used them a whole lot yet they seem to work fine. The only problem some people mention is the lack of using a hood when these are on, so you have to be careful of flare and all of that, but its not too terrible of a deal. Look up pics with these filters on flickr.

Sam

Do not buy cheap glass to add in front of your lens(es). All this does is subtract from your final image.

Here are some links that may help you decide; at least help you to learn a little more:

How To Use Graduated Filters

Singh-Ray Filters: Galen Rowell Graduated Neutral Density Filters

Nikonians ND and Color Grads Guide

Using Graduated Neutral-Density Filters - Outdoor Photographer | OutdoorPhotographer.com

COKIN Creative System - Filters A/P/Z/X - Question & Answers

Graduated Lee Filters | Lee Filters review

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-grads.shtml

Before you go out and spend your hard earned money, read these. You may develop more questions...

Thanks for that, thinking of going for a set of 3 LEE filters. Seems to be a good investment, I will be using it for both normal and wide angle lenses, will a soft set be best for that or a hard set? Also (one last question I promise!) my friend owns a shop and wants me to take some promo "creative" photos of the products (close up, low depth of field etc), I want to use a polarising filter because of the effect it can have on colours, but the shop has a lot of tungsten lighting, would a polarising filter be suitable?

Most reactions

Back