Graduated neutral density filter

CJThePhotographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:thumbup:I was looking at some water photos and want to try them. Whats a good Graduated neutral density filter that would work for this. I use a nikon D300 and would be using my 70-200 if that helps.

Look at the end of your lens. That will tell you what mm size you will need.

:thumbup:I was looking at some water photos and want to try them. Whats a good Graduated neutral density filter that would work for this. I use a nikon D300 and would be using my 70-200 if that helps.

It depends on what you meant by "water photos". If you are looking for a filter that can create a smooth water surface or silky looking falls, I will look for Neutral Density filter instead.

If you like to take a photo of a scene that you want to darken the upper part of the photo (i.e. sky) but not the bottom part, then the Graduated neutral density filter is useful. ( or the other way around)

For graduated ND's there are many options. I got myself a Cookin P series holder and a few filters to go with it.

You can buy the filter holder alone, or a kit with an adpater. This one comes with a 77mm adapter:
Cokin | "P" Series - Filter Holder, 77mm | CBP40077

I bought a couple adpaters for different lenses. Pretty cheap, actually.

The filters of course are more money. After researching I eneded up buying hitech filters. Seemed to be good value for the money. Not "the BEST", but since I knew I wouldn't be using them all the time, and after reading they are a good choice that's what I went with.

I got a hard edge for times where the bright sky and land or water line are well defined, and a soft edge for when it’s not. I actually haven’t used them as much as I would like. I'm not with my equipment, so can't remember exavctly what I got.

Some choices:

ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop)
ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops)
ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops) ND1.2 (exposure adjustment = 4 stops)

My hard edge I recall is .9, I think I got the .6 and the .9 in the soft edge.

Most reactions

Back