Graduation Project

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by iBats, Nov 20, 2009.

1. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So for my senior grad. project i decided to do a photojournal kind of thing of my town.

Just have some simple questions for you guys:

1. What would you like to see out of a small town, for example: if you were reading about it in National Geographic what would catch your eye?

2. Im kind of concerned about people thinking im a weirdo trying to get shots of their kids or of them to post on the internet (im not) heh so what would you suggest about this problem.

3. I just got my first DSLR - ive been into photography since i was 5 and have had the minolta XG1 i believe is its name since 12 or 13: since i just got it i only have the kit lens 18-55mm of course. What extra lens should i pick up a 75-300mm? or a bit smaller?

2. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. beni_hung

beni_hung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1. I like local history. Old buildings and stories behind them. That's just me.
    2. I can only suggest you make good rapport with the parents before asking to take their pictures. Either that or get a longer lens.
    3. See above :p

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nothing works better then the truth, being professional about it, and there has to be something in it for them!

"Hi. I'm Michael Young and "for my senior grad. [sic] project i [sic]decided to do a photojournal kind of thing of my town."

I was hoping you could help me with the project by allowing me to make some images of you and your kids. I'll be putting the images up on the Internet. I'd be happy to email you copies of the pictures I take. (the something in it for them part)

Do you know any other people here in town that might also be willing to help?

5. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Find some old people and ask them about the town 60 or 80 years ago, go to well established and historical businesses, interview the owner or employees, to get Ideas. Even if they were not there, they will likely know the history of where they work. For example, My friend opened a restaurant only a year ago, but hell can still tell you about the car dealership that was there in the 1920s, and even has old photos; the tile floor in the current bar is the original from car showroom.

Buildings are just boring buildings, until you find the stories of people behind them.

Also look into the police and fire department, there is often a strong feeling of tradition and reverence to the men and women who served before them. And who knows a town better than those who live to protect it.

Then try to show how history has influenced life today. What makes your town unique. Think about destination that would be chosen for a travel channel special. Does anyone make a hot dog as big as my head? Is there a eccentric sculptor with dragons and on lions in his front yard, is there and old drive-in that still attracts the weekend car crowd? What makes life interesting in your town?

6. molested_cow

molested_cow No longer a newbie, moving up!

How about just pick one average Joe and follow him/her for a full day, covering his lifestyle, work and so on, then write about it. I personally find reading about the details of people's ordinary lifestyle intriguing.

Here's an example: detroitblog

7. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wow...

all of this is so amazing thanks for all of this advice really helps