Graduation shoot-need help

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by goodguy, Oct 31, 2017.

1. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sorry didn't know exactly where to post this so I am posting it here.
    Need some guidance, I am going to shoot for first time senior graduation, I never shot such a big group of people (70 students). My main concern is lighting will 2 off camera flashes with umbrellas be enough ?
    Maybe 2 constant LED lighting be better ?

Second question is how to organize everybody so everyone is visible.

2. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think it's time to test that ISO performance! The problem is the size of the group. If you go 4 deep your going to be about 27' wide or so. 4 deep it's hard enough to ensure all faces are fully visible. You not only have to cover the width with the light. But also the depth! And since I am guessing 4-5 rows deep. We are talking about 5-6' in a tight standing group, to 12' or more in a sitting group.

Is it inside or outside (or dependant on weather).

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

I just did some checking. A 4 row low rise bleacher is rated for 72 people at 27' length. The rise per row is 8" and 24" deep per row. Think of this as a typical softball field type bleacher. So, 27' wide by 8' deep.

4. goodguy

Photos OK to edit
    If I will need to stretch my ISO then that sounds like the D750 will be better suited here.
    I really have little information, I am almost certain the shoot is indoors, it starts at 4:30pm and ends at 7pm when its totally dark and VERY cold in Toronto.

5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Flash is better than LED. What kind of flashes do you have? (How much power)

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That last group I did like that was a football team; about 50, done in four rows. The problem with four rows is fall off and depth of field. You need to have the lights a fair way back so that you get an even exposure from front to back. I would estimate that you'd want the lights about 18' back, and will likely need about 1200 w/s spread over at least three lights to cover the distance at an aperture which will give you sufficient depth of field. I would not feel comfortable doing this with only two speedlights.

7. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    No expertise...just asking a question. When you're working with groups like this, do you have ISO preferences? At your minimum light requirements, what kind of settings are you looking at? 1/200s (or whatever sync is), 100 ISO, F/11? or something else?

8. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    ISO as low as practical; I was probably at 400 for the team shots ('they're all in archive, and I'm too lazy to dig out the discs to check), shutter at sync (1/250 for me), and I think f8 gave me me a couple of feet in front of the nearest and behind the rear as a focus 'safety cushion'.

• Like Like x 1
  9. goodguy

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon SB-800 and Yongnuo YN568EX

10. goodguy

Photos OK to edit
    For shutter speed, I will have low shutter speed and have camera on tripod, I will have it fast enough so faces will not be smeered but slow enough so I get as low as possible ISO, this will help me to work on faces of people post processing and keep image as clean as possible, might shoot 1/40 or 1/30

11. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Couple of problems with this plan: One, you're going to get movement. In a group that size, it's a certainty that people are going to move, blink, twitch, etc. 1/60 would be the absolute minimum, and 1/125 would be much better. Second, you're going to be incorporating a LOT of ambient light in to your images, which in any room large enough to do this is probably ugly light. Fluorescent, sodium/mercury vapour, etc.... Not to mention the possible of cycling for fluorescent.... Have you thought of borrowing/renting appropriate lighting gear?

12. goodguy

Photos OK to edit

Might have to consider that, either way I will follow your recommendation to use minimum shutter speed of 1/60