Graduation

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Jam, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Jam

Jam TPF Noob!

Here's a shot from my graduation last June. I've always been wondering what kind of opinions people would have about this shot from a technical standpoint, as well as from a compositional standpoint, since I'm still relatively new to photography.

I think that one thing that I might have changed would be to have a slightly shallower depth of field, but that was a little out of my control with my Canon SD300, unfortunately. From now on, I'm going to be shooting more with my newly-acquired Olympus OM-1 so I can have total control over all aspects of my shots, and not leave it up to the camera to decide for me.

[​IMG]

Any comments and/or critique are very welcome.

James

2. AprilRamone

AprilRamone TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think the colors look great. Very vibrant! I guess the only thing I don't really like is that they are looking down like that because it makes her face in shadow. I'd rather see them looking at the camera.

3. newrmdmike

newrmdmike TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    while historically lots of shots have greater depth of field the recent development due to technological advances such as film sensitivity/ higher shutter speeds faster glass has made shallow depth of field pretty popular. just because its popular now doesn't mean it will be in 50 years, the amount of depth of field in your photo is sure to be more interesting down the road when people are concerned with where it was, etc.

i like it

just think about all the old photos you look at, its great to be able to see whats going on behind the subjects.

4. HollandHusker

HollandHusker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do like the photo, and the background, just can't figure out where they are looking at. I think looking away from the camera (especially when looking down) is ok, but with something to look at! Something like a nice ring or bracelet. Nice pic though!

5. pacereve

pacereve TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Her red dress really stands out, looks great though, really pulls your eyes to the couple. I'll also have to agree, would make a stronger photo if they were looking in the camera's direction.

6. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    I agree with you about the depth of field, but feel if he had been whispering in her ear and she looking down would have had more meaning to it. Just looking at the camera would have made it just a normal uninteresting shot. It's always easy to think what you should have done after the moments gone.

7. Jam

Jam TPF Noob!

Thanks for all the replies.
    I never thought of the whispering idea, and that sounds like it would make for a really nice pose. I did take one looking at the camera, and like you said, Philip, it was rather uninteresting.
    The posing took a few tries, since I'm the guy in the picture, and it was all done with a timer, so I was quite satisfied with the result at the time. I've been a little skeptical about the looking down part after looking at it recently and I wanted to get some feedback to see if you all agreed.

Thanks again.