Graduation

Jam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here's a shot from my graduation last June. I've always been wondering what kind of opinions people would have about this shot from a technical standpoint, as well as from a compositional standpoint, since I'm still relatively new to photography.

I think that one thing that I might have changed would be to have a slightly shallower depth of field, but that was a little out of my control with my Canon SD300, unfortunately. From now on, I'm going to be shooting more with my newly-acquired Olympus OM-1 so I can have total control over all aspects of my shots, and not leave it up to the camera to decide for me.

borderblackph0.jpg

Any comments and/or critique are very welcome.

James

I think the colors look great. Very vibrant! I guess the only thing I don't really like is that they are looking down like that because it makes her face in shadow. I'd rather see them looking at the camera.

while historically lots of shots have greater depth of field the recent development due to technological advances such as film sensitivity/ higher shutter speeds faster glass has made shallow depth of field pretty popular. just because its popular now doesn't mean it will be in 50 years, the amount of depth of field in your photo is sure to be more interesting down the road when people are concerned with where it was, etc.

i like it

just think about all the old photos you look at, its great to be able to see whats going on behind the subjects.

I do like the photo, and the background, just can't figure out where they are looking at. I think looking away from the camera (especially when looking down) is ok, but with something to look at! Something like a nice ring or bracelet. Nice pic though!

Her red dress really stands out, looks great though, really pulls your eyes to the couple. I'll also have to agree, would make a stronger photo if they were looking in the camera's direction.

Thanks for all the replies.
I never thought of the whispering idea, and that sounds like it would make for a really nice pose. I did take one looking at the camera, and like you said, Philip, it was rather uninteresting.
The posing took a few tries, since I'm the guy in the picture, and it was all done with a timer, so I was quite satisfied with the result at the time. I've been a little skeptical about the looking down part after looking at it recently and I wanted to get some feedback to see if you all agreed.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back