Graffiti & Concrete C&C

kvas691

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys im new to the forum and am relatively new to photography. ive taken a class in high school and now im in college and picked up a nikon d60 so ive been playing around with it, and here are one of my shots i was lookin for some opinions. thanks

plantconcrete-1.jpg

#2 No Plants, Just Some Pallets at a Loading Dock in Holbrook, NY

palletwall-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hum, at first i did not like the picture, but now that im looking at it thoroughly, i see that it does have some of the "elements" of a good picture, at least in my book.

I like the angle, it's not typical, its low to the ground, you did something with it to spruce it up.

I like how it ends in an abyss type of way, with just darkness, that really intrigues me.

What i do not enjoy is the light in the middle, its a little harsh on just one part of the picture, i know it's probably a street light or something, but i find it distracting and it warms up your picture a bit too much. I also would of prefered maybe an aperture of more around the f / 4 range, this seems to be a lot more than that, and you to just have focused on the graffiti, ignoring the other parts of the photo that really do nothing for me except distract my eyes.

Overall, great job on your first try at this photo, if you can, i think itd be cool to see this with my comments, or someone else's, as my view is normally skewed from others'.

ninja edit: nvm about the aperture, i actually like it after a third viewing ;), just i feel like picture shouldn't be focused on the graffiti.. but more on the plant

Last edited:
doesn't do an awful lot for me

i think the thing that attracted me most about the picture was the plant actually, i think that it is a LOT more interesting that plants are growing on a sidewalk in a dark alley then the actual graffiti..

I actually really like this picture. I am new here and definitely an amateur with a lot to learn so i cannot really critique this on a technical level. But I do really like to composition and the color used here. And I agree that the plant life is an interesting contrast to all the graffiti and brick and cement in this photo... i think it makes it very interesting. I say well done!! :)

I think this is pretty cool. Like everyone else said, the plants in the foreground are vital to making this picture interesting. I am new to photography so my opinion is subjective and limited in its validity but you get the idea.:thumbup:

doesn't do an awful lot for me

i think the thing that attracted me most about the picture was the plant actually, i think that it is a LOT more interesting that plants are growing on a sidewalk in a dark alley then the actual graffiti..

i can see that

thing is... and it could very well just be me... but the way the image is lit... my eye immediately gets drawn to the lit portion in the top right... and stays there...

i'm not trying to be negative... i just think that if the plants were the important part, that the photo could be improved upon...

i can see that

thing is... and it could very well just be me... but the way the image is lit... my eye immediately gets drawn to the lit portion in the top right... and stays there...

i'm not trying to be negative... i just think that if the plants were the important part, that the photo could be improved upon...[/QUOTE]

right, i wrote a paragraph about that in my previous post :) , but still, with the lighting fixed, which shouldn't be TOO hard if the place where yout ook this picture wasn't demolished since you took it or isn't too far away, you could probably do this with photochop, but i wouldn't bother

right, i wrote a paragraph about that in my previous post :) , but still, with the lighting fixed, which shouldn't be TOO hard if the place where yout ook this picture wasn't demolished since you took it or isn't too far away, you could probably do this with photochop, but i wouldn't bother

yea the sad part is, i took this about a month ago, and since then, the building has been repainted. =( but i have a few different angles so im gunna see what i can do with them. Thanks to all for the critique. i like constructive criticism haha

well since its repainted, like i said, its fixable, i still enjoyed the picture even though some didn't, if you had named it something else i would have focused on the plants first and probably would have had a different perspective, i just feel that its not centered on the graffiti as much as you'd like.

yea the thing i liked about the photo was how the plant was there, with all the graffiti and cement and bricks. it was also about 10 o'clock pm when this was taken, so the light on the wall blew it out a bit.

You could call this shot "vandalism" because that is what it is. I do not know why people try to glamorize something that costs taxpayers $$mils every year and makes the cities look like crap. Not to mention is also probably a challenge from one gang to another.

Craig

Although I can't critique your work, I do have to say that I like the pictures. The first one is more of the one that I like. Craig, I'm not trying to argue or anything but he is asking for comments/critique..not sure if this is the right place to state an opinion like that. Just saying..take care!

bump.. added a new picture.. check it

I do not know about the new one, like i said previously, the first one what really attracted me to it was the leaf, not the graffiti, as someone else said, is vandalism, this isn't even gifted graffiti :p, so i feel like the second one is just not the same as the first picture.

Most reactions

Back