Grain and blur in live view?

Laurenbiz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an Adobe Raw file that is blurry and noisy, and I have no clue why. I set the camera to auto for the person who had to use it.

When the lady took the camera from me, I saw her click the live view button on the camera. She then took our picture. Now that I've opened the Raw file on my computer, I'm really confused as to why it looks the way it does. Would it be because of live view?

EXIF:
Canon EOS 60D, L-series 16-35mm lens
ISO 100
f 11
shutter 1/500
all 9 focus points on
(auto mode)

I'd appreciate any insight into what may be contributing to the grain and lack of sharpness.

Attachments

• 2015Halloween-group.jpg
    2015Halloween-group.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 184
It looks like the image was heavily cropped.
Do you have the original 18mpix file?
The image you posted is 1/4 the original size.

There IS some motion in the image which accounts for a slight blur, but there's no excuse for
this much grain at ISO100 other then cropping.

Fortunately, digital cameras don't have grain.
Digital cameras instead have image noise.

All digital images have some mount of image noise.
Under exposure makes image noise more visible.
Cropping makes the remaining pixels larger and the pixels that have noise will be more prominent.

In Live View mode the 60D uses contrast detection AF and yes contrast detection takes a bit longer second to focus than the phase detection used to shoot stills when Live View does not have the main mirror up out of then light path to the image sensor.

f/11 at 1/500 second and at ISO 100? You must have been very underexposed unless you were in exceptionally brilliant lighting in late October.

Thanks for the responses so far! I apologize for using "grain" to explain the image noise.

f/11 at 1/500 second and at ISO 100? You must have been very underexposed unless you were in exceptionally brilliant lighting in late October.

Derrel, the Raw files were extremely underexposed. I converted a Raw file into Jpeg (no other editing) and attached it here.

My only guess is that this has something to do with the lady switching the camera to live view. I also thought setting the camera to auto mode would be easiest for her. I NEVER use auto mode and NEVER use live view, so this has me stumped!

Attachments

• IMG_9317.JPG
    IMG_9317.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 164
your camera doesn't have the DR for that sort of recovery.

Oh yeah, that's severely underexposed.
Forget about that image, it's not camera's fault.

PS: Just so you know I'm not crazy, here are other photos I've taken! I'm no pro, but things are much better when I use manual mode and when don't use live view. :)

Attachments

• IMG_8528.jpg
    IMG_8528.jpg
    865 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 164
Live View has no bearing on the final image created.

I guess the good thing is that at those settings there is no blur and everything's in focus. Recovering almost three stops looks fine for the people to look at on their phone. I would not crop in so much, someone else took the shot.

Maybe she did this to you on purpose as a Halloween trick.

I guess the good thing is that at those settings there is no blur and everything's in focus. Recovering almost three stops looks fine for the people to look at on their phone. I would not crop in so much, someone else took the shot.

Maybe she did this to you on purpose as a Halloween trick.

TRICK or treat! :D

The 60D is a good camera but certainly does not do well with under exposure like this. Now your question should be why did the auto setting under expose it like this. Even if you never use auto yourself it would be nice to know what went wrong so it doesn't become an issue in the future.

Now your question should be why did the auto setting under expose it like this. Even if you never use auto yourself it would be nice to know what went wrong so it doesn't become an issue in the future.

The camera was told to underexpose by 3 stops:

Exposure Compensation -3

Most reactions

New Topics

Back