Grain

FDSA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering is there a certain point (ISO) where grain becomes visible in say a 3X5 picture?

Of course.

I once exposed a roll by candlelight and developed it "to completion".

You could see the grain on the contact prints!

'Grain' is a characteristic of film. Different films types & ISO have different grains and even then, processing can affect how it will look.

Digital noise, is like grain but different. It increases as the ISO goes up but it's a characteristic of the camera's sensor and processor. A cheap digi cam might be terrible at ISO 400 while a new DSLR will be much better at ISO 800 or 1600.

ok I'm shooting digital so, is there a measurement for my camera somewhere or should I just take a whole bunch of shots in straight darkness only changing the ISO, so I have something for reference?

I don't think there is a way to actually 'measure' noise. You can take test shots and see what you get.

Put the camera on a tripod or something solid and take a bunch of test shots at the different ISO settings. It's usually most noticeable in darker areas and solid colors. Try using something solid red for testing.

Also, your exposure will make a difference. Underexposed images will tend to show more noise. Especially when you use software to increase the brightness.

so noise(not grain in digital?) will be easier to see in dark places/shadows?Once my computer is working I'll do some test shots.

Thanks for the help so far.

Most reactions

Back