Grains in night shot - Olympus 565UZ

jshanki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I am a beginner and have Olympus 565UZ. Whenever I take night shots I get lot of grains. Can anyone tell me how to take good shots without any grains?

Photo Sample:
PA170137 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks
Shankar

Unfortunately, that's a function of the camera shooting at a very high ISO. Do you have it on night mode? Try it in one of the other modes, but rest it on something or use a tripod.

Hard to tell without the exif data on that picture... but if I were to make a guess, it's the ISO being too high. The higher the ISO, the higher the sensitivity to light... with a corresponding increase in the graininess or noise. In a shot like that with no moving objects, experiment with a lower ISO and a longer shutter opening. Opening the aperture can help, but you have less of the picture in focus.

So, set up a tripod, open the shutter longer and use a lower ISO and see what happens.

I tried with lower ISO also - even in bright light I get grains in the skin

Sample: PA170030 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any ideas - this happens only in low light (dim light) only. If I focus properly & on a bright light - I dont have a problem at all.

Thanks
Shankar

Thanks for your replies.

Here is an image which I took and was able to upload without any resize. The shot was taken in Firework mode. I did not change any other setting. (ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/20, F2.8)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5349/pa170086.jpg

Please check the gate and the small plans behind the fireworks. Is this normal in any digital camera or am I doing any mistake?

Thanks
Shankar

It's not your technique, it's fine. It's because you're using a point and shoot.

The pixels on your camera are tiny, and your sensor is only a little bit larger than the back of a ballpoint pen. That means each pixel isn't getting a whole lot of light, and to shoot at any sensitivity, it's amplifier has to be cranked to 11.

It's simply by nature of design, you will never find any sub APS-C point and shoot that is devoid of noise/grain at even base ISO. It just doesn't exist.

If your camera has a manual mode shoot in that. I say this cause you can set the iso to its lowest. example iso 100. Now if you want to do a shot of some buildings you will have a result of a longer shutter but your noise will be reduced. However if you trying to shooting something moving fast at night night don't bother with lower iso because you action will be blurred. Like the other guys said you will get some noise in your images more that what a dlsr at higher iso will result but depends on what your shooting too. Hope that helps ya. Take care.

Yes.. found that after shooting. Cleaned with cloth that came with camera.. Seems better.

Most reactions

Back