Grains of Wisdom

You got so much noise you actually created a moire pattern. lol

Sure, challenge conventions, push limits, but why not do it well? Look at the photo of the woman reacting to the frog - great idea, but what about the framing? about 1/4 of the photo is ceiling - why? what does that add to the picture? How much better might it have been framed lower to eliminate that, maybe frame a little tighter, and bring the attention more to the subject?

Okay, this has been bugging me, to the point that I went through this thread about ten times to see if I was just crazy or not paying attention: what picture of a woman reacting to a frog? What am I missing?

Sure, challenge conventions, push limits, but why not do it well? Look at the photo of the woman reacting to the frog - great idea, but what about the framing? about 1/4 of the photo is ceiling - why? what does that add to the picture? How much better might it have been framed lower to eliminate that, maybe frame a little tighter, and bring the attention more to the subject?

Okay, this has been bugging me, to the point that I went through this thread about ten times to see if I was just crazy or not paying attention: what picture of a woman reacting to a frog? What am I missing?
I think that photo is in another thread, the tyranny of sharpness. But if so, it's a dinosaur, not a frog.
here

It was, I guess by the time I got thru all this I forgot what plastic toy critter was in front of her. It was green at least... :frog:

I think that photo is in another thread, the tyranny of sharpness. But if so, it's a dinosaur, not a frog.
here
it's my dinosaur *LOL*
P4200125.jpg

That's criminally grainy!

As for my view I like some film grain but I don't hold that all film grain is equal nor desirable. Indeed in part some film grain I feel is only worthy because it gives a sense of age; of history to the photo. The grain being a product of its day and of its processing and history. A kind of view that grain is an undesirable that we have striven to remove from photos and thus aged photos with grain are showing their "age".

Other film grain is pleasing to see; its comforting and nostalgic of the film era even on fresh photos produced recently.

In general digital noise I try to remove; my only experiences with it are when I've had to use high ISO for shots and even then I've tried to remove it as best I can afterward. I don't want noise; I don't want a dotty matrix eating up the detail and clarity in a photograph I produce unless it has that nostalgic feel

15298283353_9eb3503339_b.jpg

Probably the only time I've playfully used it deliberately - and that was a combo of noise in the shot and a noisey/grainy filter.
Kinda reminds of this giant image created out of ASCII text.
There's so much grain pattern that if I stare hard enough, I will see a 3D boat *LOL*
Just make sure Manaheim likes the photo because he goes around locking threads if he doesn't agree with the pictures.

As for my view I like some film grain but I don't hold that all film grain is equal nor desirable. Indeed in part some film grain I feel is only worthy because it gives a sense of age; of history to the photo. The grain being a product of its day and of its processing and history. A kind of view that grain is an undesirable that we have striven to remove from photos and thus aged photos with grain are showing their "age".

Other film grain is pleasing to see; its comforting and nostalgic of the film era even on fresh photos produced recently.

In general digital noise I try to remove; my only experiences with it are when I've had to use high ISO for shots and even then I've tried to remove it as best I can afterward. I don't want noise; I don't want a dotty matrix eating up the detail and clarity in a photograph I produce unless it has that nostalgic feel

Probably the only time I've playfully used it deliberately - and that was a combo of noise in the shot and a noisey/grainy filter.
There's so much grain pattern that if I stare hard enough, I will see a 3D boat *LOL*
Just make sure Manaheim likes the photo because he goes around locking threads if he doesn't agree with the pictures.

Just so everyone here understands...

Despite what you may think, chuasam, calling out a moderator and essentially picking a fight (now on two threads in a row), is a bannable offense. I've reported the behavior to the moderation team and I'm certain we'll be discussing how to handle this.

Let me be clear. I think your behavior on this forum is intended solely to cause trouble. If I were the sole moderator of this forum, you'd have been gone a while back, but TPF is- frankly- a kindler gentler place than that. However, not always, and not forever. My suggestion is you adjust your ways.

I further suggest that NO ONE take up this portion of the conversation and continue to run with it. If you have an issue with the behavior of ANY person on the forum, you have two options: the ignore button, and the report button. Unfortunately you cannot ignore moderators, but you can absolutely report them.

These are the only acceptable ways to respond to a thread for which you have a significant issue.

I will NOT lock the thread now, but if I see one more scrap of this nonsense, I will.

That is all.

Despite what you may think, chuasam, calling out a moderator and essentially picking a fight (now on two threads in a row), is a bannable offense. I've reported the behavior to the moderation team and I'm certain we'll be discussing how to handle this.

Let me be clear. I think your behavior on this forum is intended solely to cause trouble. If I were the sole moderator of this forum, you'd have been gone a while back, but TPF is- frankly- a kindler gentler place than that. However, not always, and not forever. My suggestion is you adjust your ways.

I further suggest that NO ONE take up this portion of the conversation and continue to run with it. If you have an issue with the behavior of ANY person on the forum, you have two options: the ignore button, and the report button. Unfortunately you cannot ignore moderators, but you can absolutely report them.

These are the only acceptable ways to respond to a thread for which you have a significant issue.

I will NOT lock the thread now, but if I see one more scrap of this nonsense, I will.

That is all.
Ok, which is the chief moderator that I might properly file a complaint?
Also, does the rule of only posting photos that you have taken (or at least own the copyright) also extend to your avatar?

That is all.
Ok, which is the chief moderator that I might properly file a complaint?
Also, does the rule of only posting photos that you have taken (or at least own the copyright) also extend to your avatar?[/QUOTE]

1) You can report a post and the entire mod team will be able to read and react to it. If you want to specifically discuss the matter with a moderator you can contact either:
Terri - our forum admin www.thephotoforum.com/members/terri.584/
FFarl - our general go-to contact for Forum Foundry admin (they are the company that owns TPF) ffarl

2) The rule on photos is enforced to ensure that photos posted to the site are owned by those who post them. On a site dedicated to photography this is an important aspect. It is also done to respect copyrights. However its a rule we don't generally enforce on avatars and images that might be considered "meme" or otherwise widely distributed on the internet. However these are exceptions allowed at moderator discretion

That is all.
Get a life, you can't beat a bit of trouble now and again

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back