Grainy Balls

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for an excuse to go back to the ball pool to re-shoot (and I suppose to improve my ability to take good photographs!:mrgreen: )

The balls haven't turned out as vivid as I wanted them to and in general this looks grainy and dull. Any critique and suggestions welcomed.

Taken with flash (45 deg up) @ F11/50mm on ISO 200 film. OTE

noahsballs2gn.jpg

It's a great idea for a shot, but something there has let you down here. The grainyness I would say is the film not coping with the situation that the camera has put it in - possibly due to too little light or slightly iffy metering?

Perhaps try the shot again with a faster lens (if you've got one) and a brand new roll of 100 ISO film - Fuji works very well for me. Fresh batteries might help things as well for both the flash and the camera.

Also, with this kind of shot, you need a little something more compositionally (not to mention having the subject looking at you). We all know the "rule" about kids and animals, but it's a good idea and worth pursuing until you get that magic shot with catchlights in the eyes and a look of surprise/happiness/something on the subject's face. At the moment, the poor little chap looks a bit forlorn.

The colour saturation is a bit dodgy as well, it looks a bit like 1970's Polaroid Land Camera results. And while I'm here making a fuss, the focus looks a bit off as well!

I'd say, try the following:

Get some of this
Get new batteries
Give the camera a clean
Use f4 or so and focus manually on the eyes of the subject (ensuring there are catchlights)
Have a good look at examples of how not to do it here
Take something along which makes a startling or pleasing noise to attract the kid's attention.
Have a think about the rule of thirds

Good luck - look forward to seeing your results!

Rob

Indoors you're probably going to need a little fill flash, but it should only be enough to lighten the subject a touch and add catchlights - flash is not really intended for illuminating a dark room, just for giving a little extra zing.

Ideally in this situation, you'd like a couple of massive soft boxes and a white room with no tungsten lighting, however this probably isn't practical!!

Perhaps a better option would be an outdoor inflatable swimming pool with some balls??

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back