Grainy shots are killing me.

Clikon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All my low-light shots are coming out grainy.

Nikon D40 w/18-55mm kit lens. Aperture Priority mostly.

Is there a solution that I'm missing? I've tried a variety of settings.

Switch it off auto-ISO inside your camera menu's and change it to ISO 100. You'll need a tripod for anything below 1/60th shutter speed, but your pics won't be grainy.

First off, try to get the correct exposure. (avoid underexposure)

And also keep your ISO's down. In PP you should be able to reduce the noise also.

Could probably stick to 200 or 400 and have a relatively low amount of grain as well.

I forgot. My ISO is one thing I left alone. It was at 800. Too high?

I'd say so, with PP work some of it can be restored though, but you won't have miracles.

800 is pretty high...I would avoid it if possible on your camera. I'm not familiar with your camera but it's on the lower end of Nikon's line.

On my camera (Canon Digital Rebel), ISO 800 is often times on the verge of becoming unusable.

So my next question is, what aperture are you setting it to? Can you open it up any more? This will allow you to stop down the ISO and still keep your shutter speed.

ISO 800 is pretty grainy. Try using ISO 400 or even 200. Depending on how zoomed your lens is, you might need to use a tripod to eliminate camera shake. For 18mm, use a tripod (or rest the camera on something) for shots below about 1/25th sec, for 35mm, about 1/40th, and for 50mm, below 1/60th sec. Try and never take the camera off ISO 200/400 unless you absolutely need to.

Or you can just use the flash :D

You want to use the lowest ISO that permits you to get the shot. I shoot 90% of my stuff at ISO 100.

Most reactions

Back