480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My paternal grandmother (rest her soul) spent much of the later years of her life being a rock hound, having been infected with Rocks Pox. Lately, I dug out the part of her vast collection that I inherited and decided there's a lot of nice images to be had.

Toward that end, here's the first of a series I'm going to work on... Gramma's Rock Collection.

Rock01Post.jpg

Lovely colors... nicely polished too!

Sadly... that polished look is what we think killed her. She had a diamond-blade rock cutter that used an oil bath. She would cut a rock, turn off the machine, reach into the oil and grab the rock.......... then in her excitement to see what it looked like, would lick it. Turns out, the oil was PCB-based.

Sorry to hear that, Sparky!

Really like the lines in this one. Nice work Sparky!

Sorry to hear about your Gran.

Sadly... that polished look is what we think killed her. She had a diamond-blade rock cutter that used an oil bath. She would cut a rock, turn off the machine, reach into the oil and grab the rock.......... then in her excitement to see what it looked like, would lick it. Turns out, the oil was PCB-based.

Oh my!! That's horrible!

Beautiful images though. My youngest son is also an avid rock collector. Actually, he loved rocks (and dirt...seriously, not just getting dirty, but DIRT) from the time he was very little. He would look for interesting rocks everywhere we went. He would try to find one rock a day to give to his mother to show his love. He would find rocks and put them in his boots. The boots he was wearing at the time!--because he liked the way they felt. He was an odd kid. :lmao:
His favorite birthday present, ever, was when my brother gave him a large wooden box (which he'd made himself, it was beautiful)--inside the box was...dirt. LOTS of dirt. And rocks, from different places my brother had traveled. Sean thought he was in HEAVEN, digging through that dirt looking for rocks. His older brother thought it was ridiculous. Until Sean also found $$ in the dirt. Then, suddenly, his brother wanted to "help!" :lol:

The rock collection started gathering dust by the time he was about 16, and I thought that was the end of that.

This Christmas, one of the first items on his Christmas list was: Rocks. He seems to have discovered them all over again.

Those are some cool shots. Sorry to hear about your grandma though.

Rock04Post.jpg

Found in Arizona.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back