Grand Canyon trip

florotory

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.florotory.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to the Grand Canyon in Oct. I'm trying to plan out all the equipment I need. I want to get a variety of shots landscape, wildlife as well as try my hand at milky way pics(always wanted to try it). I came across this lens: Tamron 18‑400mm f/3.5‑6.3 Di II VC. Would this be a good lens for what I'm wanting. And what lens would y'all reccomend for Milky Way photos. Right now I have 70mm-300mm, 18mm-55mm, 50mm prime, 35mm prime, all Nikon lenses. Thanks in advance.

A wide angle lens would be helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I would think you pretty much have that lens covered with your 18-55 and your 70-300 (unless you're needing more of a zoom ie. 400mm)

How wide are you looking for? Your 18 end of your 18-55 is pretty wide...

I would think you pretty much have that lens covered with your 18-55 and your 70-300 (unless you're needing more of a zoom ie. 400mm)

How wide are you looking for? Your 18 end of your 18-55 is pretty wide...

I'm looking for sharper pics. Seems like my kit lens does ok. My primes I enjoy the quality they provide.

Would any of my lens provide good Milky Way pics?

Are you shooting full frame or crop sensor?

Edit: when asking for lens/camera advise, always add what camera you are shooting with.

What kind of budget are you working with? I'm sure people can recommend anything from the few hundred $$ range to $1,000+ range.

The 11-24 f2.8 would be a nice lens for night time photography, but it is rather pricey.

Do you have a good tripod and head?

That Tamron 18-400 is just a bigger version of your kit lenses. Another jack of all lengths lens. Not really great at any one length. And you would only be gaining 100mm more over your current lens.

The primes will be your star shot lenses. The 35 will do. This is where a really good steady tripod comes in. Maybe a remote release as well.

You will want a circular polarizer if you don't already have one. It's best to get a good one. Size it for your largest lens. And for $10 or so you can get step up rings to fit it to the smaller lenses. B&W make good ones, Hoya has good filters.

I have the Tokina 11-16 ultra wide angle lenses for crop Nikons. New version is 11-20. Tokina has some pretty good lenses.

A good tripod is a must. For landscape shots, the wide end of your your 18-55 should work just fine - just stop it down to f/8 or so for a little extra sharpness and depth of field. For Milky Way shots, wide and fast is what you're looking for; your 35mm (I assume f/1.8) will certainly suffice. Wider would be better to include more landscape for context, but that gets expensive pretty quickly. For wildlife, you'll do alright with that 70-300, which is pretty sharp out to 200mm, and still pretty usable to 300mm. Anything sharper and you're looking at $1k+ on the low end. That 18-400 lens you mentioned will give you a little extra reach, but will likely be slower to focus, as well as noticibly less sharp.

I am going to the Grand Canyon in Oct. I'm trying to plan out all the equipment I need. I want to get a variety of shots landscape, wildlife as well as try my hand at milky way pics(always wanted to try it). I came across this lens: Tamron 18‑400mm f/3.5‑6.3 Di II VC. Would this be a good lens for what I'm wanting. And what lens would y'all reccomend for Milky Way photos. Right now I have 70mm-300mm, 18mm-55mm, 50mm prime, 35mm prime, all Nikon lenses. Thanks in advance.

A wide angle lens would be helpful too.

Hey,

Well, there are so many other things too which is needed to be known before giving any suggestions. As all Mates have asked that how and what you are going to capture (full frame or crop sensor), budget, what do need as part of the specification and much more which are said to be as required points for knowing and going for buying the camera.

Use the 35 for the milky way shots, I have that one in addition to the 14mm rokinon and I find myself using the 35 more often to do milky way panoramas.

North Rim/South Rim? Check your moon phases too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Use the 35 for the milky way shots, I have that one in addition to the 14mm rokinon and I find myself using the 35 more often to do milky way panoramas.

North Rim/South Rim? Check your moon phases too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

We will be at the south rim on this trip. Possibly the north side as well. We are renting an rv and we're planing on Grand Canyon to Yellowstone trip but, that late in the year the weather in Yellowstone is too unpredictable.

North rim closes in early October. If its still open it's fairly easy to get backcountry permits but roads, especially for an rv, are scarce. So is fuel.

Most reactions

Back