Grand Canyon trip

North rim closes in early October. If its still open it's fairly easy to get backcountry permits but roads, especially for an rv, are scarce. So is fuel.

If we don't end up in Yellowstone we wil probably go from the south rim to Zion NP then wherever else from there.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Any thoughts on this lens? worth if for $1300? Landscape, milky way, automotive etc paired with my D7100?
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S Autofocus Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lens

Last edited:
On my first trip to the GC, many years ago, I used a 50mm lens. I still have photos hanging on my wall. This past year on three different trips I used a 24-105, many photos printed. I hope to not sound like a smart ass, but I strongly suggest you not worry about lenses too much. Hang a strap around your neck and walk the paths along the canyon, visit all the stops using the shuttle system. Take a deep breadth and enjoy. Once you have had an opportunity to peruse the different views pick one for sunrise and another for sunset. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Any thoughts on this lens? worth if for $1300? Landscape, milky way, automotive etc paired with my D7100?
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S Autofocus Ultra Wide-Angle Zoom Lens

ONLY if you plan to go full frame in future. For D7100 the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 is a VERY good lens!!!!! Built like a Nikon lens, and is sharp! The 14-24 is designed for FX bodies and unless your upgrading in the near future, would be a waste of money on a crop sensor. I do have the 14-24 and it's a very good ultra wide lens. I also have the older version of the Tokina 11-20 in the 11-16. And I still have it (kept a crop sensor camera just for that lens). It's a great wide lens for crop sensors. The 11-20 is the same but a little wider zoom range.

For DX there is the 10-24 you mentioned originally. Very light plastic consumer lens. The more expensive 12-24 made better. The Tokina is made better than the other 2, and is 1 stop faster. If you really want to stay with Nikon the 12-24 is probably the better bet for crop sensor camera.

I am going to the Grand Canyon in Oct. I'm trying to plan out all the equipment I need. I want to get a variety of shots landscape, wildlife as well as try my hand at milky way pics(always wanted to try it). I came across this lens: Tamron 18‑400mm f/3.5‑6.3 Di II VC. Would this be a good lens for what I'm wanting. And what lens would y'all reccomend for Milky Way photos. Right now I have 70mm-300mm, 18mm-55mm, 50mm prime, 35mm prime, all Nikon lenses. Thanks in advance.

A wide angle lens would be helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

if I hike down the Bright Angel trail on the south side of the Grand Canyon again I'll bring my 22mm f/2 pancake lens and maybe the 55-250. For milky way shots ... maybe a wider prime like the Rokinon
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back