Grand Canyon Weather (9 Images)

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just spent a long weekend at the Canyon. Enjoy!

_MG_2617.jpg

#2 - Here is a link to some more info on the Kolb Brothers for those who are not familiar with these Grand Canyon Photographers: http://www.azpbs.org/kolb/
They chose an incredible site for their studio (now a gallery) -- at the head of the Bright Angel Trail with stunning views of the Canyon

_MG_2678.jpg

_MG_2725.jpg

_MG_2736.jpg

_MG_2874.jpg

_MG_2887.jpg

_MG_2895.jpg

_MG_2903.jpg

_MG_2908.jpg

Last edited:
6 and 9 for me have plenty of potential.

The others lack a focal point and a couple have problems with blown highlights in the sky..

9 has lovely shades and loads of potential - just a pity about the tree down the bottom corner..

I'm into 5 & 6. Looks like a great weekend out there. I love weather like that. Reminds me of my first trip- The place was covered with clouds. It was foggy and as I walked up to the wall, just that fast, a big hole opened up in the sky and sun poured out and down into the canyon. Literally breath-taking, dizzying. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. I didn't have a camera with me- but I don't mind. It's all something I'll never forget.

6 and 9 for me have plenty of potential.

The others lack a focal point and a couple have problems with blown highlights in the sky..

9 has lovely shades and loads of potential - just a pity about the tree down the bottom corner..

Thanks for the critique! I thought the tree would help . It's easy to get a picture of the hole, but too many canyon pix have no sense of perspective ...

I'm into 5 & 6. Looks like a great weekend out there. I love weather like that. Reminds me of my first trip- The place was covered with clouds. It was foggy and as I walked up to the wall, just that fast, a big hole opened up in the sky and sun poured out and down into the canyon. Literally breath-taking, dizzying. Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. I didn't have a camera with me- but I don't mind. It's all something I'll never forget.

Thanks for the comment! Yes, it's amazing how quickly the appearance changes. I'm not so sure that having a camera helps, actually. It is so hard to get a picture of the place that doesn't look like a picture you've seen before. No photograph does it justice at all.

Beautiful!!! 6 and 9 are my faves of this series (and I'm with you, I rather like the tree in the bottom corner of 9)

Thanks for the critique! I thought the tree would help . It's easy to get a picture of the hole, but too many canyon pix have no sense of perspective ...

I understand your point - I just find the half-tree somewhat distracting but I appreciate that for a scene like this, a foreground object can add a real sense of scale..

Beautiful!!! 6 and 9 are my faves of this series (and I'm with you, I rather like the tree in the bottom corner of 9)

Thanks, Anti. You're coming down here this month, right? You're gonna have a wonderful time. Half the time I just wanted to stare and forgot that I had a camera in my hand :)

I understand your point - I just find the half-tree somewhat distracting but I appreciate that for a scene like this, a foreground object can add a real sense of scale..

Understood. The canyon has been so heavily photographed that it was really tough to get a pic that doesn't look like every other pic I've seen :)

Thanks, Anti. You're coming down here this month, right? You're gonna have a wonderful time. Half the time I just wanted to stare and forgot that I had a camera in my hand :)
Yep! I leave in 9 days and am soooo excited about seeing the Canyon for the first time!!! :boogie:

Yep! I leave in 9 days and am soooo excited about seeing the Canyon for the first time!!! :boogie:

Bring some warm clothing with you. It's at 7000 feet at the rim and temp was in high 30's at night this past weekend. Sunsets/sunrise and star gazing is great there, so you don't wanna freeze! It was in high 60's to mid 70's during the daytime (we had some rain on 3 of our four days there which chilled it down but made for some really neat views0. You're going to have a great time -- would have love to have met you, but couldn't make that time frame!

Ian

Thanks for the tip! I wouldn't have thought the temperatures would dip down that far.

I'm in love with number 4.

I'm in love with number 4.

Thanks! It was so awesome seeing the place enshrouded in clouds. In all honesty, I think it made the place more interesting. In fact, when the clouds cleared. it almost looked fake as the Canyon is so big that you lose all perspective. I took gobs of cloud/mist shots and am still playing with them.

I know it looks like the clouds could choke you. That would be a bad hair day for me. It looks like you had fun.

Most reactions

Back