Graphics Cards

eForce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there, newbie here. Also new to photography. (Canon XTi). I was so impressed with the images off this camera, I went out and bought it. Images look great. (new computer too).

Now I swapped out the stock video card and installed a 512Mb BFG Graphics card 8600. Awesome card for gaming. Problem is, now my images look like crap. they're all grainy and washed out. Settings are at the max as far as color and resolution.

If I connect with my old computer, they look great so I know it's not the camera.

Any suggestions?

Did you by any chance get a new monitor with this new computer?

First thing you need to do (regardless of whether you got a new monitor or not) is calibrate the settings on your monitor.

http://www.photofriday.com/calibrate.php
http://www.displaycalibration.com/br..._contrast.html

Make sure you are running your computer in the native resolution. If you have an option to hook up through a DVI cable, use that, as you will get higher quality than through VGA.

Also keep in mind that due to the per-pixel precision possible
with an LCD display, if it is perfectly outputting an
accurate image it will look grainier than a typical CRT
monitor.

If your new monitor is a 6 bit and your old one was an 8 bit, then you may see some dithering in the pictures, which would cause the washed out look.

All good tips. It is a new Monitor and I did do the calibration. I'm using the DVI cable. The images were spectacular prior to installing the new card.

I think I'll do a quick test and install my old card to see.

Any other ideas?

Here is an obvious idea... make sure you have the latest drivers installed, don't just use the CD bundled with your card, go to the website and download the very latest drivers.

Gaming aside, you don't need a fancy video card for still photography.

Yup did that too. Spent 2 hrs on the phone with BFG. They couldn't figure it out.

I did though, I noticed when I made a PIC as my background, it looked like a million bucks.

Each time I opened an image it opened in Windows Photo Gallery (Vista). That is the problem. It can't decipher all those colours.

I just changed the default program and I'm all better.

Thanks all for the ideas though.

Happy shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back