Graphics Tablet Help Please

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been thinking of buying a graphics tablet to use with CS4. I have an old tiny 1st generation WACOM one that I got many years ago, but it's really a toy and I'd like one that really is functional.

Never having really used one of these for photo-editing, are they really worthwhile? What size do I need? Recommendations for a particular tablet would be welcome. Do I need to spend an arm and a leg to make it worth the investment? What features should I look for?

Thanks.

Yup. Tablets are fantastic for photo editing. I have a Wacom Intuous 4 Medium. The small really isn't all that useful given the size and the lack of LCD displays for the Express Keys, but the medium is just right.

Yup. Tablets are fantastic for photo editing. I have a Wacom Intuous 4 Medium. The small really isn't all that useful given the size and the lack of LCD displays for the Express Keys, but the medium is just right.
Everything said here is the truth. The Intuos 4 Med is perfect.

Ouch .... more expensive than I was thinking, so will probably have to wait a bit. What does the Intuos 4 give you that the less-expensive Intuos 3 doesn't?

More levels of sensitivity, keys with displays (so you know what they do, because each can be assigned unique functions), the scroll ring has four functions, the pen is redesigned (.5" shorter, so it's a bit easier to use), etc... There's a lot of changes.

More levels of sensitivity, keys with displays (so you know what they do, because each can be assigned unique functions), the scroll ring has four functions, the pen is redesigned (.5" shorter, so it's a bit easier to use), etc... There's a lot of changes.

While the aforementioned changes are nice, you will not be disappointed with the Intous 3...it is no slouch at editing.

Get the Medium, though.....the small is too small for editing on a large monitor, and the large requires too much physical movement of the hand to navigate around...you will fatigue quicker.

what about the "cheaper" ones you can get for like $100 from Best Buy? just plain crap? or decent?

what about the "cheaper" ones you can get for like $100 from Best Buy? just plain crap? or decent?

I go to Best Buy when I'm looking for home entertainment (TV, Stereo, etc)....I usually steer clear for the photography related items.

I go to Best Buy when I'm looking for home entertainment (TV, Stereo, etc)....I usually steer clear for the photography related items.

Good to know, thank you! I have seen the same one at the Apple store around me too, its like a Bamboo or something like that... seemed to cheap to be a good one tho haha

Like Photoshop is the pro standard for image editing, Wacom's pen tablets are the pro standard in that realm.

I too have the Intuos 4 Medium and rarely use a mouse anymore. I have a dual monitor setup, but my tablet only accesses my editing monitor.

I've only got a small, older model from Wacom. Got it on sale for $79 or something like that. It may not be as good as a new, large, Intous 4....but it's still a lot better than using a mouse for everything.

I've got an Intous 3 wide-format, and I love it. There is nothing better for photo-editing (except maybe an Intous 4). If you've not the budget for a higher-end unit, than the Bamboo line are decent.

I've got an Intous 3 wide-format, and I love it. There is nothing better for photo-editing (except maybe an Intous 4). If you've not the budget for a higher-end unit, than the Bamboo line are decent.

Which size do you have? Is a 4 X 6 Intuos3 comfortable to work with, or too small? The next size up is about the same price as an intuos4, but you can get the 4 X 6 for less than half the price.

Thanks for the help everyone. I decided to order an Intuos4 Medium from Amazon yesterday ($297 with free shipping) and it's on the UPS truck for delivery for today! I call that service (and the price is the best I found too)!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back