Grave yard statue/building

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mitsugirly, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My sons best friend passed away several years ago when they were only 17 and I went to visit the grave site. There were a lot of really neat statues/buildings in there. It's a fairly old graveyard and most of the stones are HUGE!

Something about this church like statue caught my eye.

I know the picture seems a little too dark and needs to be lightened...is that everyone else's opinion too? Any other suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. stsinner

stsinner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love going to cemeteries.. The only sad part is it really separates the haves from the have nots... Your photo is great! It's a little dark, but I think it's good for the mood of being there. That is one very interesting and expensive monument.

3. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yea, there were a lot of expensive monuments in there. It was pretty amazing. I so wanted to get out and go wandering around taking pictures but I'd probably get lost. It's a huge place! I'll return again some day.

4. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You have some dust or something on your sensor/mirror or lens on the upper left of the image.

5. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Kinda overly centered. Framed a bit more with the "thingy" low and to the right with more of whatever on the left would be very cool. Good eye, though. Definitely a neat... whatever that is.

6. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Did you dork around with the sky or something? There's a rather distinct halo of some kind around the thing and the trees.

7. TheSon

TheSon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was wondering that also. Looks almost like an HDR light distortion.

8. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've always shot with whatever the subject is as center focus (I've always had a point and shoot and this is my first slr and I have no idea what I'm doing). I didn't know until joining this forum that you are suppose to shoot with it off to the side???

I just downloaded the dynamic phot HDR program last week or so and have no idea what you are suppose to do or how the settings work. So I may have did something I shouldn't have??

I know theres a dramatic light strength and a dramatic light radius...no clue what they do other than move the light around and lighten it?

9. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's the first thing I noticed too.

10. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It must have blown on there while I took the picture b/c it's not on any of the others that I see and I took over 200 that day.

Kinda weird that's the "first thing" you noticed in a picture. :lol: I just find that strange.

11. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dust on the lens generally doesn't show up in your pictures. Dust on the sensor will but not if the aperture is wide open...it's when the aperture is smaller and you're getting a deep DOF that you'll see the dust start to show up in your pictures.
    It's probably because I spent so much time learning how to clean my sensor when I first noticed dust in my pictures...I literally spent a month reading about all the different sensor cleaning products and methods before I settled on the Copper Hill Method. Then it took some time to learn how to actually clean the sensor correctly using just the right angles and pressures.

Now I clean my sensor regularly (at least monthly) because I don't want to see spots in my pictures. I live in Hawaii where the humidity is high and there is a lot of dust in the air...the humidity makes the dust particles damp and sticky and the automatic dust shaker feature of my XTi really doesn't get the dust off the sensor...I have to go in there to clean the sensor manually.

12. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the dust was actually the first thing i saw too...