Graveyards in Infrared

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by SleepyLizard, Dec 1, 2003.

1. SleepyLizard

SleepyLizard TPF Noob!

Hi folks - I only found this site today and thought I'd test the waters :D

Here are two shots I took with a recently acquired Hoya R72 Infra Red filter. Both shot with my Canon G3 - 2.5" @ f5.6 and then converted to B&W.

Comments and/or critiques are always welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan

2. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Definitely a unique perspective. I prefer the first over the second, however the first is a little dark toward the bottom on this monitor.

The second, I am not sure what is the focus and am very distracted by the bright whites.

3. SleepyLizard

SleepyLizard TPF Noob!

Thanks for the comments.

In the second shot the focal point is the middle of the three graves. At least it works that way for me. The whites are actually dark green Ivy leaves. That what the R72 filter does to them. I guess it's one of those things people either love or hate :)

Alan

4. lizheaemma

lizheaemma TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like! Very erie!
    almost sinister, especially the ivy!
    Very emotion evoking photos! :D

I'd like to see the colour pics or maybe these played around in photoshop!
    I'd colour the sky in the first one blue and maybe even green the grass in the forground to play on the grayness of the graves and that crazy gate structure!

5. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I would agree that this is a good composition for the second photo. You are quite right as this is one of those things that either works for you or doesn't. Apparently not my think, but I wouldn't say that I hate it.

6. SleepyLizard

SleepyLizard TPF Noob!

Thanks - glad you like it. The IR filter blocks out most of the colour spectrum. Straight out of the camera they look rather red. For some reason I can't find the original of this (hope I haven't deleted it :shock:
    ) However I found a poor quality shot of the same place. Here is a link to it in it's original colour if you are interested.

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/ir-original.jpg

Alan

7. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Interesting shots, I might have to try something like that one of these days.
    I prefer the first one but I also like the original of it, the red has an attraction.

8. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I definitely like the original of the first. The abundance of red gives it a very unique feeling. Like something you would find in a thriller or sci-fi movie.

9. Shubin

Shubin TPF Noob!

The first one looks like something out of a pirate movie. Very Cool. Both are eerie and lovely to look at. Thanks for posting these.

10. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Alan, can you tell this ignorant one what type camera this is? I am gathering you shot these digitally then used PS to tweak them into the IR effect, as you used the deep red filter over your lens....or did I miss something? Can you explain the technique?

I shoot a lot of Kodak HIE with a #25 red filter, and I love the look of IR images. I like the composition of your second shot very much, btw. :D

11. SleepyLizard

SleepyLizard TPF Noob!

Thank you everyone. I do appreciate all your comments.

They were taken with the Canon G3. It's not just an ordinary red filter but a Hoya R72 Infra Red filter. To look at it it's almost black and lets hardly any light through so you end up with quite long exposures. So, the infrared effect is done "in camera". However, I have used PS to convert to B&W and adjust levels etc. I've only had the filter for a few weeks and these were my first attempts with it. Since then the sun has gone into hiding :)

Alan

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Terri, many of the sensors used in digital cameras are IR sensitive, and you can get the effect just by using an IR filter. Some manufacturers build a filter into the camera that blocks the IR, so ask questions if you're looking to get a digital camera that'll shoot IR.