Great Blue Heron

bburton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
brucemburton.blogspot.com
A favorite of mine to photograph. I love their eyes; these birds always look intense. They seem to be very serious, soberminded creatures.:thumbup:

7206-Heron.jpg

ok Bruce....how'd you do it???
How far away were you...what lens did you use...spill it please LOL!

I tried to get one of these buggers about 3 weeks ago and I was over 500 yards from him/her and it kept flying away from me...I was having to trail it to 3 different watering holes! LOL And even then I didnt get a good shot!!

I just love these birds and you captured it beautifully! I need to try to find a place to shoot things like this. I'm sure they are around, I just haven't looked into it. Thanks for the inspiration Bruce.

that's a beauty of a shot! i just saw one about 20 minutes ago on my drive to work, it was perched on a light pole! i've never seen that before... it would have made a great silhouette with the red sunrise behind him... and me without my camera :grumpy:

again, awesome shot! :thumbup:

Stellar shot. You captured the intensity of its gaze as it stalks its next meal. Love these birds

beautiful, I love herons, they almost look prehistoric.

Thanks everybody for the kind comments; very encouraging. :mrgreen:

I took this picture from perhaps 40 yards away using the Canon 70-200f4 lens with a 1.4X Tele-Converter. I was on one bank of the pond, seated, using a monopod for stability; the GBH was on the other side of the pond. After awhile, he started to pay me no attention and came within my best range. Bingo. The light was good; the background was good; camera shake was little. The picture came out well.

Most reactions

Back