Great Detail on this aircraft

My morals go out the door when someone waves money in my face.

If I was selling photos, I'd make whatever kind of photos my customers were willing to buy. This, possibly, is why I don't sell photos.

Hey if you are making money more power to you. Not my cup of tea but then again I am not selling photos.

I am however a professional creative person and every day I have to sacrifice my artistic sensibilities to satisfy customers. It doesn't bother me because I find other creative outlets. The other hobbyists may poo-poo your do anything for money attitude but they aren't in a similar position.

Perhaps the best definition of a "Professional" is that in an effort to make money, you give up the freedom to only do what it is that you are passionate about. Sure as hell is true in restaurants/cooking.

I feel different about it. I'd feel like a real pro wouldn't take pictures in order to have clients, but only has clients as a result of taking pictures.

you hire a line cook for his cooking abilities, you hire a chef for his abilities to create interesting and delicious dishes, a menu that jives with your restaurant's theme, and can run the kitchen all while staying within a certain food cost making the business profitable.

of course one needs to pay the bills, that's completely understandable. But I wouldn't hire DanOstergren and ask him to use a flash and saturate his blacks to 255.

Having opened several restaurants, I learned a hard lesson with my first. I wanted to serve high-end, healthy stuff that you could feel good about eating. After 3 months in business, my choices were clear: Put a chicken-fried steak and a burger on the menu, or lock the doors. Having a successful business is always about compromise, but you'll never convince someone of that before they try it on their own. Your ideals will be guidelines, and if you're lucky they will still show through to those that appreciate them.

now im hungry.

I feel different about it. I'd feel like a real pro wouldn't take pictures in order to have clients, but only has clients as a result of taking pictures.

you hire a line cook for his cooking abilities, you hire a chef for his abilities to create interesting and delicious dishes, a menu that jives with your restaurant's theme, and can run the kitchen all while staying within a certain food cost making the business profitable.

of course one needs to pay the bills, that's completely understandable. But I wouldn't hire DanOstergren and ask him to use a flash and saturate his blacks to 255.

You are talking about 1% of the working photographers out there. People like Terry Richardson and Peter Lik can do what the every the hell they want but the rest are stuck with trying to do whatever it takes to make the client happy.

Artistic integrity goes out the window when you have bills and mouths to feed.

I am not a cartoonist, so I couldn't do this!

....and your avatar is ?????

Oh, I get it, be creative with HDR or Tonemapped software but don't be overly creative where someone might figure out that you manipulated the photograph. Is it like telling a lie v/s a white lie? Hmmm

Let's be clear that I really do respect your opinion. I would like to see some of your work. I'm sure I could learn from you.

Everyone has a choice of what they want to share ... HDR or iPhone Photo look.

If I wanted a photograph, I'd go for the one on the right
If I wanted a poster on the wall, I'd go for the one on the left.

oops, not showing - the 2 pics from post # 17

I really need to agree with ffarl about his conceptions regarding photography and its translation into the food industry. Having been a chef for 16 years, and now operating as a professional photographer, there really are a lot of compromises that must be made in each field in order to survive. Just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean the customer doesn't. At the end of the day, as far as selling photography goes, you have to do what the customer wants, even if you, the photographer, don't care for it. Also, you do what they want so that you get the return business. It's all about keeping bills paid and mouths fed. And yes. It IS about making money, and yes, that does often include selling your artistic sense short, but any business out there is set up for one reason. TO MAKE MONEY! I've done quite a few things for clients that I'm not exactly happy with, but it's what they wanted, so hey...bills got paid for a month. Had I not gone with what the customer want and they hated it? Yep. Refund, and bills don't get paid. That's the nature of business. Anyone who assumes they get to keep all their "artistic freedom" when going into business for him or herself are deluding themselves. Yes, the photographer retains a control point, but really, it's "what the client wants, the client gets", and hey. If you don't want to do what the client wants, you don't get to eat or pay your bills till you can wake up, smell the coffee, and shake out those cobwebs of "It's my business, so it's my way". Yeah...stop kidding yourselves and turn off the open sign. Photographers are paid for a service, much like a tattoo artist. How many tattoos do you think any given artist has made, but since it's what the customer wanted, it's what they got? Is someone so naive that they'd think that just because a design sucks that someone wants done, they'd turn that client away? Same difference.

I dig it man. Prepare for a dissertation on over-processing and how your clients don't know what they want because they're not experts like everyone on the forum, but don't let it get you down. If you're shooting and getting paid for it, you're winning in my book.

^^^^
THAT...

Last edited:
My clients are clients with check books.

Right on; that's what matters...

If I process a photo and the client likes it, then I did it right. If the client does not like the results, then I change the end product to what they want.

This is something that a lot of people have a difficult time wrapping their heads around. The a working photographer, the opinion which matters most is that of the person signing the check...

For those out there who would like to make a few $$$ with their photography, HDR photography can open some doors if you're willing to do it.

The last several prints I've sold have been HDR stuff. The ironic part is that I do HDR as a goof, and I don't think my HDR's are all that great. But people buy 'em, though, and that's what matters...

Not my cup of tea but I think it would look much better seen printed out then on a computer screen!

Most reactions

Back