Great news for Windows XP users / read this if you're an XP'er

Wilynn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Service Pack 3 is out. It was just released by Microsoft. It's a big one, a looooooooooooooooong download. I have high speed cable and this morning it took me 4-5 hours to download it with nothing running in the background.

Some of the techs for the major computer manufacturers like Dell, HP, Gateway and Acer are not yet trained in SP3, it's that new. I spoke to several of their techs today and a few of them were not aware of its release. One of them, a Dell tech, told me that in a week or so he should be notified by Dell of a training program they'll have to go through that will help them address any SP3 issues a customer might present them with.

That is standard operating procedure that most service techs have to go through, be it an XP or Vista service pack.

Speaking of Vista, SP3 will make XP run like a charm, even better than it runs now. Lots of people are just now finding out that Bill Gates is going to unleash a whole new OS in a year and a half from now in 2010. No sense in buying the bloated, slower Vista if Microsoft is going to release a new OS in 2010. The word is that it might even come out next year in 2009. Just hold onto your money and stay with XP is what I would do.:wink:

http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind....aspx?ln=en-us
http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=207100040

links might not work, but with auto updating enabled the update should download (or at least give you the option to download it).
I also thought this had been out (for xp) for some time? Well the service pack has not had any massive bad sides to it that I have heard of so nothing to force you not to update

4-5 hours!!!!

mine just took 46minutes from start to finish

I started the download and walked out to pick up my stepson from school. Then I returned and it had downloaded. I installed and restarted - the computer still runs as slow as ever.

Most reactions

Back