GREAT photo backup software and it's FREE!!!!

dewey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wanted to share with the class :lol:

When I am at home I save all of my photos on a RAID drive configuration, which for the non-tech folks out there simply means two drives that replicate each other. This way if one drive has errors or fails I can recover the files from the backup. For wedding clients I also backup to a third drive (I'm paranoid about data loss when $$$ is involved) :mrgreen:

Anyway, the point of this post is this: When I am on the road I carry two external drives with me, and I have always just copied files to both drives, kind of like a poor man's RAID. It's not fun but it works.

I have found software called SyncBack that you can set to automatically sync two drives (or folders or whatever) to each other. You can also set it to sync with an FTP!

What could be better? It's free.

It's an amazing program - I set it each night before I go to bed and it syncs my days work to the other drive. If I am on location for a wedding I'll also have it sync to my FTP as well (again with the paranoid behavior) :mrgreen:

So if you don't want to invest in RAID drives or a RAID setup at home or at the office, you can use this software to create a RAID like array to store your photos - it's very cool.

http://www.download.com/SyncBack/3000-2242_4-10548273.html?tag=lst-0-1

That's another piece from Microsoft... nothing but crap IMO. It's troublesome and it doesn't have as many features as SyncBack.

Besides the less Microsoft on my machine the better. ;)

Funny you should mention that,
I just started using syncback a week ago, and it is outstanding.
It has more features, and seems to run better than many other expensive backup utilities I have used.

~John

I use the pay version of Synchback and it is marvelous.
I use nested profiles that allow various backing up processes (Quickbook to second HD and offsite, pic to two backup hard drives, misc dox to another place), lots of times procedures, etc.

anything like that for the mac? i do the poor mans raid now but would enjoy something automatic since im too lazy to write a script for automator.

Hey, a mention of syncback! Excellent! I've used it for a long time and love it.
Though I *really* don't need to, I have my photo folder automatically synced to a an old HP Proliant server I picked up and 4 300GB 15,000RPM SCSI3 drives in a RAID5 array with 1 offline spare - so really I only have 600gb of storage, but I also offload to DLT tape every now and then when I need some room.

LMAO an HP Proliant server... now that's a backup system. :thumbup:

Syncback is the perfect "travel raid"... that HP get's H E A V Y! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back