Great Photoshoot Today

I've been using something that is a compromise between fabric and seamless paper. It's a large piece of vinyl fabric...actually a matte finish vinyl called vina-sign. When I hang it, it is pretty much smooth like seamless paper but I can roll it up and even fold it for transport. Not as easy as folding up a cotton/muslin/canvas but it fits into my small car. It was perfect the first time I used it, but it got a few wrinkles after that...but they aren't too bad and disappear when I put light on them.

Maybe not a perfect solution but I think it's better than the sheets I had been using.

Some examples can be seen HERE & HERE.

Here are a couple I shot a few days ago...
CandS-18-web.jpg

CandS-19-web.jpg

Sorry to hi-jack

Where would you get something like this?

Where would you get something like this?
I work at an industrial fabric company, so I just found out what would be the best fabric for my use and had them make me up a piece of it. We only get rolls that are about 5 feet wide, so I had them weld two pieces together. Lucky me, I only had to pay cost for the roll stock.

Check out if you have any fabric suppliers in your area and give them a call.

I agree with everyone else as all. Most are OOF, some more so than others. The first one, the focus is on her socks.
The shots are underexposed and the wrinkles do not look good at all.
Even if they kept moving back, that is your job to place them where they need to be and keep them there.
Sorry, but these lack professionalism.
I'm glad you were so happy doing the shoot and understand the enthusiasm.

well guys, as they say "opinions are like assholes, everyones got one" the family is absoutley thrilled with these pictures, a week ago they went to a "professional studio" and they got pure crap for pictures... my goal is to keep customers happy.. and if they are happy, i am happy... the mother actually cried tears of joy when she saw the pics of her girls.. so thats a good reaction in my eyes...

to say that they lack professionalism is a little much, but your entilted to your opinion... one of the biggest problems I'm seeing is that there was actually a window behind my backdrop, and i thought it wouldnt throw things off, because it's a pretty thick backdrop... and even while we were doing the shoot, you really couldnt see the window shining through, but obviously in the picture, you can, and thats why the backdrop is brighter on one side... lesson learned there... and as I've already said, I like the wrinkles on the ground... to me, a perfectly flat ground when using material as a backdrop just looks to sterile...

as for mikes pictures, I think i may look into that vinyl fabric... i'm not a huge fan of those pics, because the shirts blend in with the background, but thats a personal preference.. and your backdrop actually has some shadowing too..

i'm still working on the portrait thing, i usually do weddings, where i'm not using backdrops and and umbrellas and such, so this is a new thing for me... if you saw some of the portraits I did back in october, i think you would see why i am so happy with these ones

I'm sorry you feel that way but if you are charging clients and giving them OOF pictures, that is a lack of professionalism, IMO of course.
These are an improvement (light wise) over the maternity shots you did of your wife, that is for sure, but they still need work.

I'm sorry you feel that way but if you are charging clients and giving them OOF pictures, that is a lack of professionalism, IMO of course.
These are an improvement (light wise) over the maternity shots you did of your wife, that is for sure, but they still need work.

these clients were not charged, they were friends

I certainly would hate to see the other guy's pictures then. I just can't get over the lack of focus.. heh. But hey.. if they were free.... heh... no loss to that family.

Everone was trying to give constructive criticism if you can't take it don't post photos,if i get told one of my shots is not great it makes me want to try even harder i don't call them an asshole

Everone was trying to give constructive criticism if you can't take it don't post photos,if i get told one of my shots is not great it makes me want to try even harder i don't call them an asshole

i didnt call anyone an asshole... I said they had one.. which they do.. we all do... and i can take it just fine... i was merely responding to the questions and points made..

Chris: I suggest you ignore gsgary. I've generally found that his posts are blunt and redundant.

Chris, I had a look at your website and you have some others of this family that you didn't post here. The first two of this family in your portrait gallery, especially the second one, seem much better. From what I can see in the small photo, the image is much more in focus and the lighting is much better.

I agree. There's a pic on your site where the mother is holding/hugging the kids on either side of her, and she's laughing. That's a great pic. Whatever you did on that one, do more of it.

Criticism, when given correctly, and when correct, is always a great help to both the photographer and those who read the forum posts, but have you ever heard "speak the truth in love"?

LaFoto is a wonderful example of this - Big Mike also. They help, and are very nice and cordial about it, too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back