Great Photoshoot Today

Everone was trying to give constructive criticism if you can't take it don't post photos,if i get told one of my shots is not great it makes me want to try even harder i don't call them an asshole

I didn't think Chris responded badly at all. He basically said, "Duly noted." Means, I have listened to your criticism, and I will do with it what I deem necessary. We are all just a bunch of walking opinion machines, so one man's crap is another man's riches... Chris expressed his likes and dislikes about Mike's pictures without discounting his advice, and he also said that he's learned lessons from the shoot.. That's humble enough for me...

We can't keep getting in pissing contests or insult-fests when we don't agree with each other. I haven't found the book that says what good is yet, as it's speculative, so give your opinion and move on.. Don't go back and belittle if your suggestions aren't implemented.. It's not a be-all end-all hobby.. There are many ways to take a good picture of the same subject.. We all have the same interests, and we're not competitors, so just have fun. That's really what it's all about.

(And he didn't call anyone an asshole...)

my goal is to keep customers happy
I once had to take a motorcycle in for some repairs. I had ZERO clue on what to expect, what to ask for - all I wanted was someone to hand me a bill and say "work done!" This repair place did that, and I was happy. Months later I sold the bike, and when I was going over the work that was done on the machine with the buyer, they remarked "Dude, theres no way in hell any of this stuff was done, and a lot of it was done wrong!"

As someone mentioned, there's aesthetic choice which is certainly open to interpretation (the backdrop), and then there are technical problems which aren't (the OOF shots, hard shadows on soft subjects, color issues).

As for the white backdrop, like any solid color, it is there to accentuate seperation between the subject and the background. When the background contains texture and "character", it then becomes PART of the photo, instead of a tool to highlight the subject. In Mikes photos, there is no "background", it is simply the client. In yours, you are very much aware of the background. If thats the choice being made here, by all means go with it.

As for the "everyone's got one. . ." - a little surprised here. I have seen some criticism from you that I thought went beyond the pale (or was just wrong), yet the person didn't respond in the manner you have with a bit of hostility and "shrug, oh well - thats YOUR opinion man." The folks here are simply pointing out the aesthetic and technical "problems" they have with the photos. If you are in this business to make money, or to do favors for friends, are you saying you DONT want to give them the best possible product, not just a product that are "happy" with - because there IS a difference.

Criticism, when given correctly, and when correct, is always a great help to both the photographer and those who read the forum posts, but have you ever heard "speak the truth in love"?

LaFoto is a wonderful example of this - Big Mike also. They help, and are very nice and cordial about it, too.

It is no good looking throught rose spectacles if a shot is not good i feel i have to say that, it's no good going down the same road making the same mistakes i want people to be blunt with my shots so i can learn for others

Okay, try comparing your post in this thread to the others' posts. You all said the same thing, but other people worded it... 'nicer.'

I feel that this conversation will derail this topic, and take away from the OP's first post. I also don't feel that my point will be realized by you - at least not soon. So with that, this sentence concludes my posts on the subject.

Okay, try comparing your post in this thread to the others' posts. You all said the same thing, but other people worded it... 'nicer.'

I feel that this conversation will derail this topic, and take away from the OP's first post. I also don't feel that my point will be realized by you - at least not soon. So with that, this sentence concludes my posts on the subject.

I will keep quiet because i don't know what i am talking about you won't see me in the beginners forum again trying to help :mrgreen:

i don't know why people don't seem to think I'm taking the CC well, I've learned a lot from the things you have said.. for some of you, I don't necessarily listen, because you don't give technical critque, you merely give personal preference critque, and I didn't post here to get that type, i posted to get technical.. well to be honest, i actually didn't even mention critque in my OP.. but I love critisim, because that is how I learn.. for example, the "the backdrop is there to accentuate separation" i didn't really realize that, and it helps alot.. and I will deffinatly remember that next time I take pictures.

as stsinner stated, I havent responded badly, and I don't intend to ever do that.. unless someone is giving personal preference critque, which I don't appreciate... to the guy who thought I called him an asshole, I'm sorry you felt that way.. it seems as though other people understood the quote though.. if you took it wrong, I appoiligize.

Chris, I had a look at your website and you have some others of this family that you didn't post here. The first two of this family in your portrait gallery, especially the second one, seem much better. From what I can see in the small photo, the image is much more in focus and the lighting is much better.

thanks for checking out my site and for your comments

There's a pic on your site where the mother is holding/hugging the kids on either side of her, and she's laughing. That's a great pic. Whatever you did on that one, do more of it.

I really like that one too.. I just didn't want to post to many pictures in the thread

Posted by ANDS!:

I once had to take a motorcycle in for some repairs. I had ZERO clue on what to expect, what to ask for - all I wanted was someone to hand me a bill and say "work done!" This repair place did that, and I was happy. Months later I sold the bike, and when I was going over the work that was done on the machine with the buyer, they remarked "Dude, theres no way in hell any of this stuff was done, and a lot of it was done wrong!"

As someone mentioned, there's aesthetic choice which is certainly open to interpretation (the backdrop), and then there are technical problems which aren't (the OOF shots, hard shadows on soft subjects, color issues).

As for the white backdrop, like any solid color, it is there to accentuate seperation between the subject and the background. When the background contains texture and "character", it then becomes PART of the photo, instead of a tool to highlight the subject. In Mikes photos, there is no "background", it is simply the client. In yours, you are very much aware of the background. If thats the choice being made here, by all means go with it.

As for the "everyone's got one. . ." - a little surprised here. I have seen some criticism from you that I thought went beyond the pale (or was just wrong), yet the person didn't respond in the manner you have with a bit of hostility and "shrug, oh well - thats YOUR opinion man." The folks here are simply pointing out the aesthetic and technical "problems" they have with the photos. If you are in this business to make money, or to do favors for friends, are you saying you DONT want to give them the best possible product, not just a product that are "happy" with - because there IS a difference.

Y'all know about the ignore list. I'm putting ANDS! on my pay close attention to this dude list. The above quoted post is wall-to-wall solid insight. Nicely written.

Jon

Criticism, when given correctly, and when correct, is always a great help to both the photographer and those who read the forum posts, but have you ever heard "speak the truth in love"?

LaFoto is a wonderful example of this - Big Mike also. They help, and are very nice and cordial about it, too.

Listen, you can't tell someone how to give a critique. Many feel it is a complete waste of time to sugar coat it and just want to tell it like it is. Nothing is wrong with that either, and Chris has been known to dish that out as well.

Hmmm. Personal opinion, rubbertree.

But if I cannot tell others how to give a critique, who are you to tell me that I cannot tell others? It's a never ending circle...

That being said, I agree with everyone here - Chris responded very well.

Hmmm. Personal opinion, rubbertree.

But if I cannot tell others how to give a critique, who are you to tell me that I cannot tell others? It's a never ending circle...

That being said, I agree with everyone here - Chris responded very well.

I didn't mean any malice by my comments, i want people to give me some stick if i post bad photos i want people to tell me where i am going wrong
sorry if i have upset you:blushing:

alright folks, I think i've gotten lots of guidance from this thread, and its starting to turn into a bit of a war with the back and fourths, so why doesnt a mod just lock this.. i don't want my thread to be one that gets a fight going

Most reactions

Back