Green Ray From the Sun - Any Clue What Caused This?

hupjack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Both Photos were taken with my iPhone 3Gs, so I suppose ya'all might say that was the problem right there.. but I'm curious what caused this green line..

4122132425_1edb3c2374.jpg

4122904460_2e5d41c549.jpg

Taken in San Diego walking along the beach... Huge green spike emanating down from sun.. Is this similar to the "green flash" I've head so much about at sunset?

something to do with the electromagnetic spectrum?
something to do with charged coupled devices in my iPhone?

just a spec of something b/n the sun and my camera lens?

You're lucky that the alien green laser beam missed you ...

You're lucky that the alien green laser beam missed you ...

I was thinking the same thing UFO or Dr Evil "Las-Urr" LOL

Cell phones suck for pictures color's are never right, they have this severe pixelation at time among other odd effects the only thing
they are good at is for taking a quick snapshop of something "license plate, quick self portrait or group pic" not HQ at all

I did consider the possibility that an alien might have landed, and that I may also have had something implanted in me.. but I quickly dismissed such things :)

the last comment about the sensor when there's a strong light source seems the closest to a serious response.. I'd say the sun is a pretty strong light source!

I really was curious about the phenomenon and if anybody has seen this.. I assure you there was no cellophane string..

note the green is MUCH more pronounced in one shot than in the other, though it emanates from the same place in the sun..

Maybe I should be posting to a physics / astronomy / sci fi group instead of photo pros..

come on guys.. I challenge you to get technical!

looks like I'm not the only one to have experienced this by a long shot!
And it happens on cameras that are a we bit pricier than my iPhone.

usayit, do you have any public links to any similar shots with this green line?

I tried to check out the images at l-camera, but since I don't have a login over there, no dice!

Certainly Sounds like a plausible description.. scientific enough for me :)

It is a flaw in at the edge of the sensor when you have a bright point light at the short side of the sensor. It is caused by that light getting under the black border that rims the sensor.
I think it has something to do with the offset microlenses and that the black border is not actually on the microlenses allowing light to get between the border & microlneses and shine into the sensor that is supposed to be dark/black.

Just move the point light either completely into the frame or well out of it.

usayit, do you have any public links to any similar shots with this green line?

I tried to check out the images at l-camera, but since I don't have a login over there, no dice!

There not that many as most are posted on the forums themselves... I haven't seen the problem since mine was "corrected". I trashed the few frames I had.

Examples that are not mine:

Bright over exposure on the right bottom:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/sepiareverb/greenlinewith.jpg

Frame the photographer took moments later that doesn't exhibit the effect:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff221/sepiareverb/greenlinewithout.jpg

cool.. thanks usayit for entertaining my desire for a green line example not of my own making :)

much appreciated!

Its the sensor that is miss fired with the light...or you have some corrupt data on your memory card...I am going to put my money with the sensor though sense its an iphone.

Most reactions

Back