Green Solitude

dab_20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Critique on this, please. I just got photoshop but I haven't done anything with this picture, yet... I really don't know what needs improvement.

Camping067.jpg

Camping067.jpg

PP is really all about adjusting it to your own personal tastes.
I adjusted the levels. then lowered the brightness a little and increased the contrast. I prefer my images a little darker than most people however, its really however you think it looks best.

I am not too sure about your choice of aperture here?
You mean to put the little lonely conifer into focus, as the lonely element in amongst all the other green trees in the background? Hence the title "Green Solitude"? Well, I interpret it this way ... and instantly feel that you would have needed to stop up your camera a lot more to get a blurrier background. It may just be me but I feel that the difference is too small between the in-focus little conifer and the out-of-focus (very busy!) background.

As to things that can be done in PS?
Well, one attempt has already been made, and I tend to have my own pics darker than most, too, though with this kind of green I wouldn't go that far, plus I would not change the colour temperature to as cool as it now is in the edit by deadtoaster. I love the amount of yellows in the original.

yeah i agree about the DOF. would be nicer if sharper from front to back. i like the composition though. or maybe if you had widened the aperture so that the little tree in front was more the focal point and completely blurred the rest. maybe moved closer to the little tree.

Thanks for the comments. I am pretty new to photography and I have not even attempted manual settings yet. So... is F(what ever the number is) aperature?

Isolating subject from background is not always an issue of DOF. There's just so much green here that it blends in too much. Under different light or possibly a different angle, I think it could have worked at this DOF.

Thanks for the comments. I am pretty new to photography and I have not even attempted manual settings yet. So... is F(what ever the number is) aperature?
Yes...that's right. The higher the number, the lower the aperture...which means less light gets in.

Higher apertures (low F-stop numbers) have a shallower depth of field and the background will be more blurred. Lower apertures (high F-stop #s) increase the depth of field and more will be in focus....unfortunately it also requires a longer shutter speed since so little light gets in.

I generally try not to use low apertures without a tripod because I have the shakiest hands in the world.

Most reactions

Back