Green Street Residence

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
440-bw1920.jpg

Offers over $10.95...

The contrast seems a little harsh on this one, as a result I think you're losing some of the detail on the shadow side of the building. I like the basic image though.

Offers over $10.95...

The contrast seems a little harsh on this one, as a result I think you're losing some of the detail on the shadow side of the building. I like the basic image though.

OBO.

I've been going back through some of my broad daylight shots trying some conversions.

Here's the original right out of the can:
440-1920.jpg

I thought I brought out the side a bit, but I shouldn't do this stuff so late. Will probably hate it in the morning.

despite it being quite a bright, contrasty image I can see detail in the side of the shack....looks like a quick house to clean to me :)...maybe make an offer!

despite it being quite a bright, contrasty image I can see detail in the side of the shack....looks like a quick house to clean to me :)...maybe make an offer!

Just turn the garden hose on and squirt it out!

For me, although contrasty, the B&W is much easier on the eyes. The countless days/year we have cloudless/near cloudless, blue skies can really get to suck.

I actually I think I prefer the colour version where normally any decent b+w would get my vote. Know what you mean about year round cloudless skies, I just wish the ones here were blue - we have an almost permanent haze caused by several hundred feet of fine dust being suspended in the atmosphere. The sunsets here are as bland and boring as anywhere you'll find on earth - uniformly pale orange and as bland as a cinder block.

I like the color one a bit more than the B&W. Perhaps try the shot again just before the sun comes up or just after it goes down and see if you can get better exposure. It seems your in the same boat as me, bright blue skies without a cloud in sight, makes for a day of frustrating photography.

Green St. and Wood St. are about 350-400 miles from my house. The building is unfortunately in Bodie ghost town, a state park, making sunset and sunrise shots out of the question.

Good grief. I just noticed the tilt to the right. Curses. I guess B&W or color won't help that. Maybe I'll fix it later too. More important to return to my melancholia right now.

Perhaps you ought to reconsider your conversion workflow. Your shots aren't bad, but they appear to be suffering from similar conversion-related problems.

Perhaps you ought to reconsider your conversion workflow. Your shots aren't bad, but they appear to be suffering from similar conversion-related problems.

I've been trying a few different things, but nothing that could be defined as a 'flow.' I was reading something today about red filters and film and thought maybe applying a ps red filter and tweaking levels might help. Got anything in mind?

Depending on the final look I'm going for, I use a number of masking strategies to protect highlights while raising the rest of the exposure. These can range from careful, deliberate burning of highlight areas to certain high-pass filtering techniques (that do not flatten the image). I find that color filtering tends to not help very much.

Thanks Max. I've been putting off learning more about masks- will try some stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back