greenish tint in bw film?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by alexlang, Nov 1, 2004.

1. alexlang

alexlang TPF Noob!

i recently shot a roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 BW film and when i got it back from the lab the whole role had a greenish tint to the picture. These were all shot outside in daylight. Is this the fault of the developer or my fault (somehow)

thanks

2. oriecat

oriecat work in progress

I'm no expert, but that sounds like a lab problem to me. I don't see how true b&w film could come out greenish. Maybe they printed on the wrong paper or something? How do the negs looks?

3. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Greenish tint on traditional B&W :shock: that odd, I have seen this a few times with C-41 B&W negatives, think Orie maybe on the right track

4. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

something tells me that ive heard of labs using C-41 to do non c-41 stuff and it coming out green...hmmmm

md

5. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can't put non C-41 b/w rolls through C-41. The bleach or fix will wipe the emulsion right off the film and you end up with a clear strip. I have seen this green tint on really old b/w film when it is processed. I would say either it was a really old roll or bad chemistry.

Eric

6. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    Hmmm - sometimes at work, if you do B&W - the emulsion might be slightly off on the paper - and therefore it comes out green. Usually is fixed by an emulsion number change...

However - this is for c-41 film (as thats all we do at work) - but I am not sure if the C-41 part would be relevant if it was a printer problem...

I suggest getting a couple reprinted - either at that place or at another place (or one at each) and see how it comes out. That should tell you if its the negs or the printing...

7. Floyd

Floyd TPF Noob!

Well this is either your lab or they're **** and now scanning and giving digital prints and they're printer has a green colour cast.

8. AIRIC

AIRIC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, I miss read the question. I though the film was green. If the prints are green they are using a color printer and as fadingaway said the paper emulsion was not balanced. Every batch of paper that is made for the minilabs is slightly different and has to be balanced when it is put into the printer so photos printed last month will look the same this month if the customer comes back for reprints. Take them back and have them reprinted. You should have no problem getting true b/w. Poor quality on the lab part. Each lab is only as good as the printer operating it. You can pay $16 or $4 for developing and it still comes down to who was operating the printer.

Eric

9. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

Like the last poster said most labs print on RA4 color paper. RA4 is the process for mini lab paper developing. And you have to adjust every frame to get pure black and white it takes alot of time so most labs will just print it however and you can get green, blue, red, pink, yellow you name it you might get if from trying to print b&w film on color paper. However kodak makes an RA4 black and white paper and if you can find a lab that uses it you can get true black and white prints. You might have to check with labs that do large or commerical work. That paper is higher in cost to labs so if you find one that does use it expect to pay more per print than normal color prints.