Greetings from Greensboro

goodiekev

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Kevin. I am a definite newbie. I have always had an interest in photography but until recently have only owned point and shoot style cameras. Given my affinity for all things vintage and always wanting to learn from the very basics, I have decided to enter the world of photography from a basic and manual area. I was recently given two AE-1's, one black and one silver, which were lightly used in my step-dad's research. Both were always stored properly, and the silver one has had only two or three rolls of film through it! With the cameras I also got about a dozen filters, a 28mm, 50mm, 50mm macro, and a 60-300mm zoom, a couple of extension tubes, a speedlite 199a, and a pair of 2X teleconverters. So I am really happy with the hand me down.

As mentioned above I want to learn photography from a basic and tactile perspective and then eventually move into more automated SLR's and eventually DSLR. I found several books that I believe will get my mind into frame. One was written and published in 1981. I figured a book from the cameras' time could prove insightful. Are there any beginner resources that you might suggest?

I really want to get into macro and astro photography. What are some basic tools, be as specific as you like, that I should consider adding to my tool bag?

Upon moving to the "next level", I am considering purchasing something like an EOS Rebel. When the time comes, what are your feelings about camera bodies with built in flashes versus add-on? Are there any models to stay away from? Are there any strong arguments for something other than Canon EOS models? Keeping budget in mind as I am also a professional student.

I don't want to take up too much of your time so I will stop. Thanks for viewing. Your feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, welcome aboard.

Most reactions

Back