Grey Heron

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by Anubis, May 23, 2008.

1. Anubis

Anubis TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

Hi,

I took this shot of a Grey Heron on Monday.

Nikon D70s, hand held Sigma 500mm, ISO200. I tweaked the exposure down when converting from RAW as there where a few highlights, now I think I've darkened it down too much though.

C&C welcome and thanks for looking!

2. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's over sharpened and haloing slightly. Other than that it looks good.

3. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    To me is doesn't look like there is enough sharpness in the face/eyes/head of this shot... but could be my monitor or the compression...

4. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    First of all...Nice shot. Most people don't have a clue what it takes to get a shot like this. There is no luxary of time, most of the time handheld or a monopod is the only way to get the capture. A lot of things have to fall in place to get a shot like this.

Okay on to the critique. Like Garbz said it is oversharpened ( I am often a victum of this myself if I don't back away during editing)
    I am still learning but i think if you devise a good workflow your PP will benifit.

Start with cropping first. then do levels this will bring dark underexposed photos right up there. The I like to go to saturation and boost it a bit. I tweak the hue abit but very rarely. The last thing I do is go to unsharp mask. By now I rally have to back away a bit because I have been looking at this photo for quite a bit and have a tendency to push it to much.
    Hope I helped.

5. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I took your photo and had a go with editing it and hers what I ended up with for a quick edit
    [​IMG]

6. Anubis

Anubis TPF Noob!

That is definitely brighter, which was truer to the day I was shooting, but it looks over saturated to me. I see where you are going through :)

Converting it from RAW I reduced the exposure, changed the white balance and applied unsharp mask then cropped it. Generally I don't mess with the hue or saturation.

I think if i could get it to a point between both our versions I'd have it spot on.

Thanks for taking the time to edit it!

7. Anubis

Anubis TPF Noob!

It is not your monitor, this was the sharpest of the few shots I fired off when it was in this pose, but it didn't stand up well to the cropping.

I'm going to try a smaller aperture next time to try and keep more area in focus.