Grief

Thanks LaFoto...I think that's a great outlook. I'll try to stand by that point of view when I actually do venture out and try some street photography. :)

i think it is a wonderful capture! you did well doenoe.. i like the sepia tone to it.. touching moment.. beautifully put across to the viewer. Thanks for sharing

to add my bit...
dont think i could survive without shooting street..
also one can not shy away from reality.. you may be blinded by whats really on.. we all probably are... but it is tough out there.. little do we realise.. that each of us lives a priviliged life and we need to be thankful for that...
i think its a matter of personal opinion.. as to what you think is right and what you think is not.. depending onthe situation etc.. each to his own... :thumbup:

see.. isn't it nice when we discuss the reasons behind why we like or do not like a picture?!
I can see both sides of the arguement now...its a very personal decision and i'm sure it depends on the situation... wether you feel its acceptable or not.

meg27 said:
see.. isn't it nice when we discuss the reasons behind why we like or do not like a picture?!
I can see both sides of the arguement now...its a very personal decision and i'm sure it depends on the situation... wether you feel its acceptable or not.
you rounded it off well Meg :thumbsup:

and not moving away from the photo.. it is still an emotional moment captured well

Personally, for me, it doesn't show grief. The image just doens't touch me the way some can, but interpretation is a very personal thing. And technically this IS a good shot, despite what it doesn't make me feel. If I'd taken it I'd be proud of it.

It bothers me that you can see the man's face. That maybe sounds crazy but I feel that if you are going to invade someones privacy in such a moment you should at least give them the gift of privacy... Maybe I'd feel more comfortable with it if it was a little wider angle but that would probably kill your composition...

hello again

well writing about how i feel about things isnt my strongest point, but ill give it a shot. So this is all my opinion.
I can see whether you would or would not take a picture like this. Like i said before, i was thinking about it too. One side is, that you do invade their privacy in a way. Since its their time to mourn and think about the person that has left them. On the other hand, i didnt disturbed these people when they had this moment. So they still had there private moment. This is the only picture i took of those 3 people. I wasnt in their face with a big lens trying to find the best composition for the photo. This was a snapshot.
And if you look at a average newspaper you see lots of shots of peoples privacy being invaded. Just look at the people mournin over their lost families in the earthquake area. Most of those pictures are about capturing an emotion on film/sensor. And some of those pictures win a pulitzer prize. I think the photographer didnt ask permition to take the picture of the person in the shot. Probably most people dont even know that their picture was taken and never will.
In some cases you can go to the person and ask if its ok if you take their picture. But in this case it would be more inappropriate to do that, then just take the picture IMO. Plus the fact that you will lose the moment if you would do that. Then there is the fact that you can go to the person after you have taken the photo. But then you would really invade their privacy and the moment that they had is no longer theirs.
Ok, i tried to put my opinion in words here and i took a long time to do that..........man its harder then an essay at school. And that is pretty hard for me too :mrgreen:
Anyways, thanks for all the comments and opinions

*Edit* horrible spelling

I feel this is voyeuristic. It's obviously taken from some distance, it doesn't seemy uo have their permission to take the photo and while i do not disagree with photography at all I think their are some areas of shooting the public where you should tread lightly. I think this photo feels wrong because you are obviously not known to be taking the photo and I think it's a little unfair.

doenoe said:
And if you look at a average newspaper you see lots of shots of peoples privacy being invaded.

I just want to point out that just because the media (who we know is ALWAYS right in everything they say and do {/sarcasm]) does this, it doesn't mean that it's ok for you to do the same.

Anyway, I have posted in this thread this entire time and still have not said anything about it...

Like what was said above...I feel that this doesn't do much for me in the grief department. If anything...I think I'd feel more grief if the people weren't in the picture because it would cause me to read over the gravestones more carefully and it probably would cause me to think of someone that I have lost...weird...I know...

If you had gotten them closer up with more visible emotion in their face, I would probably feel more grief.

unless you are specifically addressing the technical/emotional aspects of this image, please create a thread in 'photographic discussion' and carry on.

thank you.

i think it is a sensitive portrayal of honest, everyday emotion.
The fact you went about capturing it in a way so as not to intrude physically is commendable IMO.
Of course some will be offended by this type of photo but just as many will feel the opposite.

not a big fan... does'nt really move me in any way- and i am not sure about the focus

Most reactions

Back