Grip for D90...

bdavis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was contemplating on getting a grip for my D90, anyone done this? Is it worth it?

Also, I've heard that the MB-D80 Grip feels kind of cheap, are there any good grips out there?

well, I don't have nikon, but personally I am a fan of grips. Mostly because they help with the overall weight distribution of the camera particularly when hand holding a larger lens.

just my experience though.

grips are good for extended battery life and a shutter release for portraiture positions.... photojournists, wedding photographers etc..

some people also use them to pimp their camera in a vein effort of coolness....

some people like the added weight...

if you don't need it you might be better off supplementing your sb800 with another flash..

just a thought..

I guess it is down to personal preference.

I was thinking about getting one because I'm going to have some long shoots coming up and I thought the extra battery life would be useful. I've never had one before so it seems convenient. On the other hand, I dont want to get one if it gets in the way or causes the loss of mobility. If that's the case I'll just stick with switching batteries...

they are big and heavy - but with a big heavy lens, might balance things out. . .I see you have a some light lenses though, so not sure. . .

Well I'm aiming for a heavier lens. Before summer comes I want to get an 80-200mm f/2.8 so i can photograph some races. I was thinking it would be nice to have the extra battery life so i'm not fumbling to switch batteries and missing shots.

might help balance that lens - have you shot with the 80-200 yet? I rented one, OMG it's f'in long and heavy!!

I have the MB-D80 and I love it. My only issue with it (and it's one I've gotten used to) is the shutter release button is mushy. It doesn't have the same feel as the button on your camera body. Build quality is good, though and it really does help balance the heavier lenses, particularly when using the release on the grip using the 80-200.

I haven't gotten the 80-200 yet but it's definitely one of the lenses on my list to get before summer when all the races and things are going on. The main question was wondering if the MB-D80 would help balance the heavy lens and you've confirmed that it would probably help, and along with the extra battery life, it seems like it would be a worthwhile purchase.

Psychological or not, I consistently get sharper hand held shots with the added weight of a grip or motor drive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back