Gross misuse of telephoto lenses in rap videos

or they want the 2.8 aperture at all focal lengths at 70mm... just a thought. Same reason portrait photographers use a 70-200 or an 80-200 F/2.8 as well.

But they wouldn't be able to focus at that close of a distance.

ahh so they are into modern art as well as rap!
Modern art as in symbolistic shots with OOF foregrounds and subjects :)

ahh so they are into modern art as well as rap!
Modern art as in symbolistic shots with OOF foregrounds and subjects :)

But that's just about all video. I wouldn't call it "modern art" though. :D Hollywood films have been doing this regularly (with subliminals too) for about 50 years. It's a Joseph Goebbels invention if that tells you anything. :(

or they want the 2.8 aperture at all focal lengths at 70mm... just a thought. Same reason portrait photographers use a 70-200 or an 80-200 F/2.8 as well.
If that's the case, they should be using a 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. The difference between those focal lengths when you can get that close is irrelevant.

There's no reason for what they're doing other than "bling", whatever that is...

If that's the case, they should be using a 50mm or 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. The difference between those focal lengths when you can get that close is irrelevant.

There's no reason for what they're doing other than "bling", whatever that is...

I'm not sure which video your talking about or how close the photographer is to the subject, but seriously... the photographer might have a reason for it. I think your stepping out on a limb when you say they are using it for "bling" when in essence no one has an idea why they are using it, and we are making a huge assumption possibly letting our own view on rap video's take control of our statements.

Now, I try not to watch Mtv. It's a plague in modern culture. But from time to time I can't help but stop on the station on the rare occasion they are showing a music video because I like to hear the garbage teens are listening to these days.

Recently I've noticed a trend in rap videos; at some point there is always a "photographer" taking a photo of the rapper with fans or girls. But they are always using a large telephoto lens, 70-200 or larger, to take a picture from an arms length away. I know they are just using a long lens because it's more "impressive" and we all know how materialistic rappers are, but holy Moses does that bug me.

A pet peeve of sorts, I guess.

just to bring this thread back to sanity for a moment - we are talking about a music video - ergo there is no need for the camera to even have any insides to it at all its just their as a prop ;)

Here's one of the vids I recently saw. In the over vid they are currently playing the guy is using at least 400mm nikon(it's one of the lenses you'll see at major sporting events) from about the same distance as in this vid. But I don't know who the artist was so I can't even attempt to find that video.

Look at around 3:10.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFMHdSC2P7I[/ame]

Here's one of the vids I recently saw. In the over vid they are currently playing the guy is using at least 400mm nikon(it's one of the lenses you'll see at major sporting events) from about the same distance as in this vid. But I don't know who the artist was so I can't even attempt to find that video.

Look at around 3:10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFMHdSC2P7I

First off thats a canon 70-200. 2nd the photographer came up and barely even snapped a picture... the camera was used as a prop, they didn't actually even take a picture. See how the video actually flashed to give the impression they took a picture... its a cool edit they do in video's, nothing more. The camera is there for show to begin with, so when you try and show off, what do you do? You slap on the biggest lens you have.

First off thats a canon 70-200. 2nd the photographer came up and barely even snapped a picture... the camera was used as a prop, they didn't actually even take a picture. See how the video actually flashed to give the impression they took a picture... its a cool edit they do in video's, nothing more. The camera is there for show to begin with, so when you try and show off, what do you do? You slap on the biggest lens you have.

Well, if you read my original post I said it was a 70-200. Just above I said in the OTHER video they have been playing the guy uses a Nikon 400MM.

And from the start I never said they were real photographers taking real photos. That's illustrated by the clever use of quotations around photographer in my first post. I wasn't going to insult the intelligence of the people here by assuming they didn't know these were obviously extras using a prop camera. That fact is quite obvious.

I was merely stating how the use of oversize lenses bugged me.

Gawd................... :grumpy:

That's 4 minutes I can't get back.

That's what I thought too.

I watched it muted while listening to congressional hearings tho so it wasn't a total waste. ;)

The edits were pretty amateurish. I kept waiting for his pants to fall all the way off. :D And what's with the censoring of the plain white drinking cups? He must have a horrendous drool problem. :D

Last edited:
Well, if you read my original post I said it was a 70-200. Just above I said in the OTHER video they have been playing the guy uses a Nikon 400MM.

And from the start I never said they were real photographers taking real photos. That's illustrated by the clever use of quotations around photographer in my first post. I wasn't going to insult the intelligence of the people here by assuming they didn't know these were obviously extras using a prop camera. That fact is quite obvious.

I was merely stating how the use of oversize lenses bugged me.

My mistake, missed the part where you said the other video. But out of all honesty, how seriously can we all take a video that starts out with a guy rapping without a shirt on?

The funniest part of this whole thread is that you all are looking at a Lil Wayne video for proper photography equipment usage. Here are a few other things to look at current day rap videos for 'proper' usage:

1. How to wear jewelry
2. How to wear your clothes
3. How to talk
4. How to walk.
5. How to treat women
6. How to spend your money

The censored cup is because it has whats called "Syrup" or "Lean" in it. It's prescription cough syrup and or promethazine normally mixed with a sprite and a jolly rancher for taste. Of course its illegal and many rappers are "advertising" it.

I thought you guys watched rap videos.

...by the way - most good hip hop or rap doesn't have music videos or played on the local radio. That stuff is for the sheep. Stay away from MTV and the like. Its just blaxploitation for the current generation.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back