Ground Bird - Need Identifying it HELP!

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by ats, Jul 24, 2005.

1. ats

ats TPF Noob!

I saw these two today, and I search on the web and the 4 bird books I have about texas and the closest I came to was a Northen Bobwhite, but the colors are wrong (normally redishbrown these guys are dullgray/beige.

anyone can lend me help ?

PS: I am sorry the picture is not so great, high noon in texas very hard to get decent picture done.

[​IMG]

2. Wally

Wally TPF Noob!

Hi these are bob white quail. They are YOY (young of the year) and so are colored a bit differently than the adults.

3. skunkboy

skunkboy TPF Noob!

hmmm, not sure about being quail... the stripe to the eye is brown vs black, the bill is narrower in these, and the ring around the neck is quite a bit thinner in these plus then the spotting on the body of the bwq is usually over more of the body and the black, while there, isn't as dominant as brown - brown, black, and white.

*Not saying they "couldn't" be but not quite sure they are either.

4. ats

ats TPF Noob!

See I though that to, but all the imagery on the web and in the 5 bird books I have, did not indicate of a color change from redish brown to grey/beige.

Well your right about that, and the coloring is very wrong to be a bobwhite , so I tracked the bird to be Chukar partridge (Alectoris chukar), or also known as rock patridge (Alectoris graeca).

As per :picture from various hunting bird web site...(wow that was fun to research...lol)

[​IMG]

5. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

Yes. those are Chukar. Originally from Pakistan and introduced to the western US where they prefer dry, rocky areas with lots of cliffs. A lot are pen raised for shooting preserves also. Very similar to red legged partridge. Excellent eating, white meat.