Group 1 Rule of Thirds C&C

You don't always need thirds for a good photo. In the first shot the couple would look better centered I think, however the horizon is in the right place. The second shot is amazing the shadow makes it look like a pro photo.

Thanks for the feedback FDSA! Yeah I know the first could've probably been framed centrally but we're doing a little exercise with the rule of thirds so I offset the subjects accordingly. I really didn't intend for it to be a keeper, but it was all I got that day (for my 365). I'm still kind of mixed on it. It's a very basic shot and doesn't really represent my "style" so to speak, but at the same time, I still kind of like it because of its simplicity. I'm glad it's had a positive impact on some of you guys.

I agree about the couple in the first shot being centered. I like the colors of the sunset though. I also like the second photo alot. The overall look of the photo is really nice. However, to me it looks like his face is not in focus but his expression is priceless. I like the shadows on the wall behind him too. Very nice photo. :)

The second one is amazing. What kind of lighting did you use?

Thanks! Here's my lighting info: One Vivitar 285hv fired bare at 1/4 power set to telephoto on camera left aimed at the skateboard, and one Vivitar 285hv fired at 1/4 power through a beauty dish on high camera right. I wanted the bare 285 to be my main light which would be kind of harsh and cast the shadow on the wall. The other light was to add fill to the upper portion of my body which I wanted to be a lot softer so the attention would stay at the skateboard/feet area.

And thanks Skedaddle for the comments!

sherman, these are great. i like the first one and i feel the empty spaces on top of the subjects really helps here. the skateboarding one, yeah it seemed a little to unbalanced at first but after the first 5 seconds looking at it, i like it.

I love the skateboard shot. The contrast is excessive which, in my opinion, suits the gritty location brilliantly. Hang on, YOU took that shot? Damn, man, you're good. Extreme multitasking! Back on topic, however, I like the way you left some "looking space" on that shot. The only thing I can find wrong with it is that your body has become slightly deformed from the (I think) extreme wide-angle lens used.

The first isn't quite so good, but that isn't to say it's bad. I think it would've been better to zoom out a little & exaggerate the rule of thirds effect here, or to place the hands in the middle of the frame. Their silhouette seems to cover most of the brilliant sunset, so it may have paid to have moved to get a slightly different viewpoint. Still, I abolutely love the colours. Silhouettes 90% of the time work, and this one is no exception.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back