Group dinner shot

yelppuppy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I find myself in this situation a lot. Girls' night out in a nice, dimly lit restaurant. I usually bring my canon EOS-20D with a 50mm f/1.4 for the food shots (I'm a noob so I don't have an off-camera flash yet). When the time comes to do obligatory group shots, I usually just dial it to program and use the flash light. The reason is I can't possibly get a good shot without the flash with a prime lens. If I dial the aperture up, and stand far enough to accommodate a full table of people, then only one person would be in focus.

I also have a 17-85mm f4.0-5.6 lens, but I haven't used it much.

Am I pretty much screwed in this situation until I get an off-camera flash? And say if I get a flash, what kind of lens is better for this scenario?

If the place do not have a high ceiling, a on camera (not build-in) flash that bounce the light off the ceiling will work (or off the wall)

As for the lens wise, I am sure it is easier to use the shorter focal length for group shot.

Am I pretty much screwed in this situation until I get an off-camera flash? And say if I get a flash, what kind of lens is better for this scenario?

It sounds like you need a flash. Either on camera or off - you just need more light.

Short of using a flash, all you can really do is up the ISO, shoot wide open, and maybe underexpose by one stop and pull it back in post. That last part isn't ideal, but it's better than not getting the shot.

The lens you need will be dictated by how wide a FOV you need...

Most reactions

Back