Grr... Facebook is stupid.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by manaheim, Sep 26, 2008.

1. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My wife finally convinced me to join facebook. I've been telling her all along that it's stupid and pointless, but she was on me about it so I figured it was unfair to judge without really seeing it.

Sure enough, I was right. It's stupid.

Anyway, to top off the general stupidity of it, random people I don't know tend to send me "friend invites". I generally blow them off, but this one was one my wife felt was a nice person who was friends with many of her friends... so why not?

fine... I begrudgingly accept the invite.

Not more than an hour or so later, she starts asking me questions...

Now I'm kind of a privacy guy... I don't think people need to really know details about my life or anyone elses, unless it happens to be necessary. And she's like asking me "So where do you live?"

I check with my wife and am like "Um, should I be telling this woman where I live?" I figure... anyone who is a friend is a friend, right? Should be ok, I suppose. She's not asking my blood type.

Note to self: don't ask my wife for tips on privacy issues.

So anyway I tell her. To be polite, I ask her where she lives. She tells me. Great. Hunkey dorey.

Then I get this...

"I will be having my second annual St Jude's fund raiser
    and last year had a photographer donate his time/film to capture the event
    is that something you would want to do?"

Great. Yeah. Some random person I don't know is basically asking me to give them my time and effort to some random cause I know nothing about.

I'm sure it's all lovely and wonderful and a big great thing and that's fine. I just really hate it when people have the audacity to not only put someone on the spot about charities, but go a step further and just assume you'll toss in your photography along with it.

Bah.

:grumpy:

2. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Free free to can it whenever you like. I joined after my sister invited me. Then she keeps sending me all these dumb games to play. Whatever! I un-registered, goodbye, life's too short.

3. tasman

tasman TPF Noob!

Do what I do on FB. Give them a load of crap, or generalise on your info. I never give personal info to anyone. And I dont play all of those stupid apps they keep sending.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    meh I joined up and yes I get all the games invites - which I ignor.
    What I do like is keeping it as an online - self updating address book!
    I find it so easy when you move schools or go to uni and beyond to lose contact with people - you take a number and it changes - addresses change - bits of paper go away.
    But most people have a facebook - so one can get in contact from time to time

5. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pretty cheeky of her to have hit you up for free services so quickly (if at all)! I hope you replied along the lines of 'I'm not interested."

6. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, it's kinda stupid like that. I'll probably just stop logging in so I can keep the "free auto-updating address book" thing going.

Yeah, I had considered that but was kind of expecting everyone on there was going to be someone who I was friendly enough with that I wouldn't have to lie to... not so sure about that anymore. :lol:

The whole games thing is bizarre... they're not even games. It's like "click and get random result!" --- "repeat 10000x" --- "win meaningless points!" --- "give random point related thing to your friend!"

Bizarre.

Yeah, pretty much. I told her there was no way I could commit to something like that off the cuff without significant additional detail. (basically, hoping she would give me enough detail that I would find an easy out buried in there somewhere) She said she'd get back to me. I'm hoping she won't. :confused:

7. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh dear.

sometimes facebook is pointless... often useless.

But sometimes fun ;)

8. Harmony

Harmony TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's actually pretty useful sometimes. Not many of my friends check their emails anymore...

As for the applications and games, I've blocked every single one of them and am no longer bothered...

I still get chain emails, though.

9. Artograph

Artograph TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do so enjoy your posts!!! :hug:: LOL!!

Yeah, I haven't "given in" either...I refuse! What's the point really? I keep in touch with people that I want to keep in touch with.

10. Hawaii Five-O

Hawaii Five-O My alter-egos have been banned. :( Now I must be

Photos OK to edit
    I think with facebook, if you stay away from joining networks, your pretty much off the grid except to your actual friends or family.

i have a facebook, but it is turned off. I don't use it much.

11. manaheim

Photos OK to edit
    WARNING: The following post contains sarcasm and is prone to occasional ranting. Of course, anyone who knows me will take this as basically "par for the course". :)

You do? :lol: Or was that sarcasm? I'M ASCARED!!! :lol:

The point? The point is clearly so you can play the following "games" with all your friends...

1. Pimpwars : Where you "buy" a pimp, and then fight someone elses pimp for points (insert random number generator here), and then you can get "better" pimps.
    2. Grillwars: Where you "buy" a gas grill, and then fight someone elses gas grill for points (insert random number generator here), and then you can get "better" gas grill.
    3. Spaceshipwars: Where you "buy" a Spaceship, and then fight someone elses Spaceship for points (insert random number generator here), and then you can get "better" Spaceship.
    THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ABSOLUTELY ENDLESS!!!!! :confused:

Yeah, I basically check in every few days to see if any of my ex-girlfriends found me so I can check out their pictures and see if they got all fat. :lmao:

:lol:

Wow, I'm on FIAH this evening. :lol:

12. MBasile

MBasile TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    eh, I find it less pointless/annoying than myspace. On facebook I'm only "friends" with people I was actually friends with in high school or that are in current classes