Grr...how do you open these damn things?

redneckdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm trying to figure out how to open the film spools in order to re load them. I have a practice spool that I'm working with right now, a roll of 100sp that I accidently shot at 1600. How do I get them to open up? Thanks.

Spend the money to get hold of some plastic reloadable cassettes. Your problem will disappear. The end comes free with a partial turn. It re-locks the same way.

And yes, I use them myself.

Are you talking about the 35mm cassettes or the plastic spools that you use to load the film in order to process it?

If it's a 35mm cassette, just use a can opener.

If it's one of those plastic spools, you twist both halves in opposite directions until it comes apart.

If its not the reloadable ones (and 35mm) try a bottel opener on the flat side of the spool also... (becarefull doing this) sometimes you can smack it on a table so you push the plastic tube (that sticks out of one side of the roll) and the bottom will pop off... maybe wait till the bottle opener almost has it... but ive successfully popped them open with the use of a tabel and not bottle opener...

redneckdan said:
I'm trying to figure out how to open the film spools in order to re load them. I have a practice spool that I'm working with right now, a roll of 100sp that I accidently shot at 1600. How do I get them to open up? Thanks.

I know that this is stating the absolutely stupidly obvious, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that you need to do this in the dark! Watch your fingers if you're using a tin opener! :mrgreen:

Rob

Rob said:
I know that this is stating the absolutely stupidly obvious, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that you need to do this in the dark! Watch your fingers if you're using a tin opener! :mrgreen:

Rob

Nothing more sickening than seeing the bare film & then realising this! :lol:

I removed the "wrong" lid of a developing tank to pour in the developer and in that split second thought "you're not supposed to see the film & spiral....." :lol: Too late..................:er:

I almost fired my first roll of film. I had just finished the develper stage and was pouring the chemicals out when all the guts of the container fell into the sink. I grabed everything and shoved it back in the container and finished develping my film just hopeing that every thing would come out alright. I got lucky cause every thing did.

Dang... I wish I had Magic Film... where do you buy that at "greasemonkey"???
same place you buy "focusing spray" for your out of focus pictures? jk...lol...

:lol:
I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread as the last post is several months old, but here goes anyway......The early cartridges were a snap to open, they were designed to be opened by hand.
You could reload them time and time again, till the felt got used up or they started to scratching the film...I loaded some kodak microfilm into a cassette one time, took some grab shots outside the door of the base photo lab at McCoy AFB
. and processed it in Neofin Blue, a very low contrast, film developer to offset the very contrasty microfilm....I printed one shot that included a telephone pole about 100 yards away. I blew it up 36 x the contrast was still there but not too bad, but I could count the threads on a 3/4 bolt sticking out of the pole.....and how was your day? mlm

I use the bottle opener on my keyring for brand name cassettes. Never had any sort of a problem. I normally use bulk loaded film in metal, reloadable cassettes. These will pop open with just a slight pinch, or if they are worn they'll pop open as soon as I remove the tape (I tape all my bulk load rolls).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back