Grrr...photography is so expensive!

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by keller, Feb 5, 2006.

1. keller

keller TPF Noob!

Being a university student, I'm really finding it hard to cope with the costs of photography. And I've only just started!

I chose film because I like the print/enlargement quality (and I cant afford digital SLRs). However, processing has become quite expensive. Cheapest I could find is $10 for a roll 24, with a 20% discount for 20 rolls.

Lens also seems to be a killer, most go for over $500 used. I'm lucky I got a free zoom lens with my camera.

I'd hate to think of the consequences of dropping my camera... :meh:

2. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some of my best images have been taken with a $200 tlr medium format camera, a $3 roll of film, and $4 processing.

It doesn't HAVE to be expensive. But it CAN be if you let it.

3. Alexandra

Alexandra TPF Noob!

I was once shooting in the subway and when the sub passed, i quickly imagine what would've happened if i dropped my camera. it was painful. very painful.

As for developping your pics, i figured that having your own darkroom is much more comfortable in the long run... i had set up one *cough*for two weeks*cough* but i got rid of it quickly cause i had no time and cause i screwed up everything possibly screwable.
    But that's fine, i learned th basics and i'm considering setting it back this spring :D
    And really, i don't trust the local lab. right now i mostly shoot digital, so i don't really print pics often. but when i need to, i rather go to a really professional lab. that's waaaaaay too expensive for doing it often, but once a while and when i need good results it's pretty worth it.
    But still, i'm very impatient to set my own darkroom back.

4. keller

keller TPF Noob!

How do people get such cheap processing/film costs? I've shopped around for ages, and I can't seen to find anyplace that does anything for less than $20 (per roll, film + processing).

What's the big secret? :)

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Where do you live?

6. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    120 film is cheap, and so is processing here in Texas.

35mm is much more expensive for some reason.

7. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's what I am wondering! That's a crazy price.

You can also save by not getting prints made (develop only), or just asking for a contact sheet with your negatives. Then you can pick and choose if you want to make prints from any given roll.

Heck, I do that now, and I have a darkroom. :lol: I make a quick contact sheet after I've developed the negatives, so it's handy as a guide when I'm reviewing negatives later on.

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And Im the total odd ball. a roll of 120 film for a buck fifty , develop it in my kitchen sink with plain old d76.. dry it put it on a flat bed scanner and make files. upload them to some cheapo printer for prints. 19c each if im not too partucular. And you only print the best ones.

I also have a 35mm dedicated scanner for color pitcures. I only shoot black and white in large format. For me color is for family birthdays nothing else. I know that's sacrilidge. By the way on a good day I cant spell and this is NOT a good day.

I have color negs done at the film lab for about 2 bucks with my commercial discount (had to toss that in) I scan the negs and check them out before ordering from the digital files. Easiest and lowest cost way I know.

cut film developed in a peanut butter jar... up to 4x5 havent done anything larger yet.

9. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    actually.,.. you can always send the rolls to me... developing of colour film in a pro lab costs about $4 no matter if there are 36 or 24 exposures. a print 10x15 cm costs $0.40 .... and it's the best lab in north west Poland :)

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I buy my black and white film from a neighbor of yours. I expect they may soon be the only maker of 120 and sheet film unless the chinese decide to go for it.

Hungery

and how good is the kiev 6x6 copy of the hassey

11. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    $20 for processing? $1/2K for a lens? You're getting robbed!

12. keller

keller TPF Noob!

I live in Australia. Average price I've found is $10 for processing (pharmacies), and $15 (big camera stores).

Is there any other places that offer photo processing?

My other alternative is to start learning slide film and only get slides processed for about $5, and select the best to be processed.