Grrr...photography is so expensive!

keller

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Being a university student, I'm really finding it hard to cope with the costs of photography. And I've only just started!

I chose film because I like the print/enlargement quality (and I cant afford digital SLRs). However, processing has become quite expensive. Cheapest I could find is $10 for a roll 24, with a 20% discount for 20 rolls.

Lens also seems to be a killer, most go for over $500 used. I'm lucky I got a free zoom lens with my camera.

I'd hate to think of the consequences of dropping my camera... :meh:

Some of my best images have been taken with a $200 tlr medium format camera, a $3 roll of film, and $4 processing.

It doesn't HAVE to be expensive. But it CAN be if you let it.

I was once shooting in the subway and when the sub passed, i quickly imagine what would've happened if i dropped my camera. it was painful. very painful.

As for developping your pics, i figured that having your own darkroom is much more comfortable in the long run... i had set up one *cough*for two weeks*cough* but i got rid of it quickly cause i had no time and cause i screwed up everything possibly screwable.
But that's fine, i learned th basics and i'm considering setting it back this spring :D
And really, i don't trust the local lab. right now i mostly shoot digital, so i don't really print pics often. but when i need to, i rather go to a really professional lab. that's waaaaaay too expensive for doing it often, but once a while and when i need good results it's pretty worth it.
But still, i'm very impatient to set my own darkroom back.

How do people get such cheap processing/film costs? I've shopped around for ages, and I can't seen to find anyplace that does anything for less than $20 (per roll, film + processing).

What's the big secret? :)

markc said:
Where do you live?
That's what I am wondering! That's a crazy price.

You can also save by not getting prints made (develop only), or just asking for a contact sheet with your negatives. Then you can pick and choose if you want to make prints from any given roll.

Heck, I do that now, and I have a darkroom. :lol: I make a quick contact sheet after I've developed the negatives, so it's handy as a guide when I'm reviewing negatives later on.

And Im the total odd ball. a roll of 120 film for a buck fifty , develop it in my kitchen sink with plain old d76.. dry it put it on a flat bed scanner and make files. upload them to some cheapo printer for prints. 19c each if im not too partucular. And you only print the best ones.

I also have a 35mm dedicated scanner for color pitcures. I only shoot black and white in large format. For me color is for family birthdays nothing else. I know that's sacrilidge. By the way on a good day I cant spell and this is NOT a good day.

I have color negs done at the film lab for about 2 bucks with my commercial discount (had to toss that in) I scan the negs and check them out before ordering from the digital files. Easiest and lowest cost way I know.

cut film developed in a peanut butter jar... up to 4x5 havent done anything larger yet.

actually.,.. you can always send the rolls to me... developing of colour film in a pro lab costs about $4 no matter if there are 36 or 24 exposures. a print 10x15 cm costs $0.40 .... and it's the best lab in north west Poland :)

I live in Australia. Average price I've found is $10 for processing (pharmacies), and $15 (big camera stores).

Is there any other places that offer photo processing?

My other alternative is to start learning slide film and only get slides processed for about $5, and select the best to be processed.

I would say, start shooting B&W. Develop yourself, and if your at a university, I would think they have a darkroom. Your cost per print will go down.

Most reactions

Back