GRRrrrrrrrARGH!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ferny, Jan 13, 2007.

1. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

One of the many things which **** me off is idiots who drive along at 40mph when it's safe to do 60+ (or just 60 is there are some blue lights around ;) ) and then continue to drive at 40mph when you get into a village with 30mph signs.

I just had to follow one who braked at every bend and when we got into another 30 zone started to slow down making me think he was actually dropping to the legal limit. Except no, he slowed and slowed and slowed and then shot left without using his indicators.

Seriously, these people should be shot.

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hear you, ferny.
    I don't agree with the "shot" part, but I know that those drivers drive ... me crazy!

There's so many examples of "all other drivers are mad" around here, I could write BOOKS about them. At this time of the year, with early night fall and loads of rain, you find those that go at 65 km/h on the broad main road that is free for 100 km/h. Grrr!

I do see why poor vision conditions can force you to adapt your driving to the situation. And deer is ALWAYS a risk, so you have to be CAREFUL, mostly so at dusk. No doubt.

But no reason to crawl on at a slower speed than the many trucks would go at ... my only explanation for that usually is that the driver must be ancient and half blind.

No kidding. I really believe that that is the reason!
    I wonder how many drivers there are out and about who see way too little, mostly so at night and in the rain!?!?

Silly as it may sound (me being a female driver, and her kids' chauffeur herself), I also find that many ... yes, listen: female drivers, often so young mothers, drive at such incredibly low speeds, timidly, overly cautious and careful, as if their load were ... OK: their load probably is... the most precious they have.

But my personal pet peeve is this: that main road where you may speed along at 100 km/h passes the town but doesn't go through, so there are exits and entries, the first with an extra lane for you to slow down before you take the bend off that road, the latter with an extra lane to accelerate before you enter into the fast going traffic. Now for some silly, silly reasons drivers of that very town have adopted a (so they might thing) "friendly" behaviour to speed along that road, see someone come onto the access lane (who has to give way, OF COURSE!), and BRAKE for them to let them enter before them! :shock:

What good is that?
    Why do they think there are traffic regulations such as Right of Way and Give Way in the first place?
    To shuffle it all and create not only utter confusion but really dangerous situations? That road is not only used by drivers who "know the score" (what score, I ask you?) and who might be totally unprepared to that car driver in front of them suddenly apply his brakes to let someone who has to give way enter first!

Worst is when I am the one to enter, I see in my back mirror that there is traffic, so I don't speed up right away but amble along to let it pass because that traffic has the right of way (!) --- and that car simply won't and won't and won't PASS me! :shock:

That is my biggest pet peeve and I am so often inclined to write a letter to the editor of our local paper at last to speak my mind in public. But so far I have never done this. My anger has usually dissipated by the time I arrive back home.

But I still remember the situation when I did NOT brake for entering traffic, it was a very big, elderly lady in an ancient Mercedes who came onto the access lane, I was right by her side, and she'd just get into my path as if I didn't even exist so I had to move over to the middle of the road, into oncoming traffic, forcing them to further move out of MY way into the verge :shock: ... Seems like that lady SO relied on the "new rules round Pool Town" to apply she would not even LOOK. She was CONVINCED I'd GIVE her the way ... that she had to give ME.

Sorry for the rant.
    Like I said: pet peeve of mine.

3. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

Driving is a sure wy to get people grumpy. There are a couple of threads on the forum of one of my car clubs and these are what I've said lately.

I could moan for England. ;)

4. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ha ha... Zonies (that's what we call people from Arizona) are well known for their bad driving habits. More so, there is a section of Phoenix which is a huge retirement area called Sun City (I call it an 'age ghetto') where no car drives faster than 15mph, despite the 45mph limits. I try to avoid as much as I can driving through that 'neighborhood'. Yeah, the 'turn left from your right lane' symptom is alive and well and that wouldn't bother me if the person turning would look and establish some sort of eye contact with me. I have driven cars in New York without any incidents and believe me, that is the place where crazy driving happens every moment but also that is an accepted practice and everyone is aware of it. The thing with 'zonies' though that bothers me the most is their lack of willingness to look around before making a move. I see that more so when I ride my motorcycle.

I totally can understand your frustration, bro!

5. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wonder why especially driving a car always stirs up emotions so much ... ;)

to get anywhere from my place, I have to go over 4 REALLY nasty speed humps :( ... wonder who pays for the next repair of my car, since even when you go very slowly it sends a shiver down my spine. I mean what is all the fuzz about having roads when you need an offorad-car anyway to survice the speed humps!

6. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

That's a thing about the bumps. They aren't actually allowed to force you to go slower than the suggested maximum speed with things like bumps. Yet if you've got a car like mine you can struggle to do 10mph over most if you're in the car on your own as it crashes over them. If the suspension gets damaged then you can claim from them via a court. Which I will be doing if mine fecks up soon.

The reason why people get so irate in a car is because it feels like it's your safe little world and anyone who buggers it up needs to be beaten. ;)

7. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Gawd, I hate that too. But I'll tell you a secret, it bothers you a lot less if you have a slow, crappy car.

I used to feel like that all the time in my car, just a humble Civic hatchback.

Then, I got into motorcycles. I take care of my need for speed on the motorcycle. I don't usually go all that fast, but I don't slow down at all for most bends in the road. Usually, I speed up. :D

After that, no matter what I do, my car seems slow and unresponsive. We call them "cages" The car has become a transportation appliance, and I don't care if I'm going slow any more. At the end of the winter, I do find myself getting impatient behind the other cagers. Then, spring comes along and sets me free!

Do you have a nice car? If so, drive your crappy one more often. If not, get a motorcycle. Even a cheap one will set you free.

8. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

My car will cruise all day at motorway speeds, but it'll take it 25 seconds to get there. ;)

Few moderns keep up with me on bends though. Which is where all the fun is. :)

Modern cars I find dangerous. I get in one and all the sounds are deadened, the steering is light, I can't feel the peddles because there's no resistance. I can see why people get into a car after they've past their test and then drive like twats and crash. You feel too safe (or in my case, wrapped in far too much cotton wool).