GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

core_17 said:
I had a cat when I lived with my parents...he was an inside/outside cat..one day he came home totally covered head to tail in MOTOR OIL!!! I thought he was going to die. Thankfully, he didn't. I gave him a bath (which wasn't anywhere NEAR getting it all out), and took him to the vet the next day...he gave me some anti-biotics and eye drops, and told me to keep bathing him til he was clean. Took about a week...he lost most of his hair too. I'm just glad he lived. I'll never have an outside cat again...their life-expectancy is so much lower than that of inside animals.

Hehe get a dog like my Dog Cass, shes always happy to see us, never does anything wrong if she can help it, and a belly stroke to her is all she wants, shes a lovely dog I tell thee

I have more compassion for animals than people. Strange, but true. I can't understand why people get pets then leave them outside to starve. Or chuck them out of a car because they no longer want them.

It's possible that the cat didn't have its tail cut off. You have what malachite said and it may have been involved in a road accident. Anything could have hurt it. Especially if it's a stray and looking for food or a place to sleep.

for Pete's sake
Yes, do it for me. Look after your animals.

Artemis said:
Your name is pete? YAY!
About time he let it slip, eh, Arty? ;)

And the name suits you, Ferny. Pete is a cute and friendly name, just like your personality. :D

Corry, I've done what you're doing many times. As hurtful as it is seeing a damaged or wounded animal, immediately stepping in with kindness and healing is the absolute only way to counter the wrong. It never fails to amaze me how quickly they respond, how ready they seem to forget the hurt and thrive on the kindness they're being shown. You've done a good thing here. :hug::

ps Don't be too hard on the shelter/rescue place. You don't even want to start thinking about how overwhelmed they are....stuff like this happens all the time, unfortunately. :x These places are always underfunded, understaffed, and overrun with needy, abandoned animals. You did the better thing, really, by stepping up to the plate and handling it privately. Maybe if you put out some flyers someone will want to adopt the little kitty. :)

ferny said:
... Or chuck them out of a car because they no longer want them.

When my cousin lived in Chicago, she saw this happen to a dog. She and a couple friends were hanging out on the stoop of their building, talking, and a car stops a little ways down the street and just threw a full blooded red doberman puppy out the window so hard it hit a wall that was close by, then they drove off. Ana took him in and named mim Sinbad...she had him til he died of old age on the farm she lives on now. That dog was such a good dog that even I cried when he had to be put to sleep. :(

not to get off on a tangent here but i have a question...

why is it that we put animals to sleep if they are old or sick or dying? we dont do that to humans, and if we did, it would be illegal. i dont see why we have the double standard.

md

I slightly agree with MD here...but MD you must remember...sometimes animals will suffer and not understand why, and if they only have 3 months left to live..but they have to live it in complete and utter agony? wouldnt it be better to let them die peacefully early?

would you put your grandmother to sleep if she had three months to live and was laying in pain but still able to function somewhat?

the question still stands, and im not sure anyone has a good reason for why we do this to animals.

md

MDowdey said:
not to get off on a tangent here but i have a question...

why is it that we put animals to sleep if they are old or sick or dying? we dont do that to humans, and if we did, it would be illegal. i dont see why we have the double standard.

md

I guess because the majority of the human population look at humans as being superior creatures to dogs, cats, and pretty much all animals. The only empathy towards animals are usually only domesticated and thats because they are in our immediate faces all the time or to the ones we can relate to on another level like monkeys and apes, and our aquatic brothers the dolphins.

I agree that there is a double standard but as humans go... we are full of double standards. I could blame religious reasons, humanitary reasons, economic reasons, cultural reasons....or maybe it's instinctual to try to preserve our existense over other species so we protect our sick and old- kind of embedded into our genetics to try to save our own species at all cost.

On a side note researches just did a study that shows most fish, but not aquatic mammals, are immune to pain. Something about the size of the brain vs. how it sends messages down it's nervous system. Does this mean they are actuallly less evolved or more evolved?

mygrain said:
I guess because the majority of the human population look at humans as being superior creatures to dogs, cats, and pretty much all animals. The only empathy towards animals are usually only domesticated and thats because they are in our immediate faces all the time or to the ones we can relate to on another level like monkeys and apes, and our aquatic brothers the dolphins.

I agree that there is a double standard but as humans go... we are full of double standards. I could blame religious reasons, humanitary reasons, economic reasons, cultural reasons....or maybe it's instinctual to try to preserve our existense over other species so we protect our sick and old- kind of embedded into our genetics to try to save our own species at all cost.

On a side note researches just did a study that shows most fish, but not aquatic mammals, are immune to pain. Something about the size of the brain vs. how it sends messages down it's nervous system. Does this mean they are actuallly less evolved or more evolved?

On the second point about humans...I am compelled to disagree, because if we did try to save all the ill humans in the wild...the "Ill" gene would be passed down the lines, and our species would weaken.

As for the less/more evolved issue, id have to say we are without a doubt, without pain, you could very easily set yourself on fire, and then die...this would not help the human race at all.

About time he let it slip, eh, Arty?
I remember saying it was in a thread about first names. :p

And the name suits you, Ferny. Pete is a cute and friendly name, just like your personality.
Oh my. :blushing:

It depends where you live. There is an American state where it's legal isn't there? And people travel to Switzerland for euthanasia all the time.

I think it's down to us feeling we own the animals. We feel we have a certain right to put them out of their pain. Then there is the fact that animals can't tell us what's wrong and how they're feeling so treatment is much harder. You can't hold a conversation and get to know an animal at the same level as a human either. I'm sure that has lots to do with it.

It's a question that's popped into my head from time to time and I don't know the answer.

Artemis said:
On the second point about humans...I am compelled to disagree, because if we did try to save all the ill humans in the wild...the "Ill" gene would be passed down the lines, and our species would weaken.

As for the less/more evolved issue, id have to say we are without a doubt, without pain, you could very easily set yourself on fire, and then die...this would not help the human race at all.

Err...Arty...genetics passes all kinds of bad things from one generation to another- obesity, mental problems, deformities to name a few...our species IS weaking because we keep our sick ALIVE by flooding them with antibiotics and medications. Its these steps we take to cheat death is what is going to cause mother nature to really sock it to us. If ya think that humans art not trying to preserve human existense then why is the life expectancy of the human male only increasing over the centuries...because modern medical technologies is changing evoloution bit by bit. If we left the weeding out of the sick and old to mother nature...it would be much harsher and much more reliable than what we as humans are doing to our species.

and ummm...i meant fish, not humans on the whole more/less evolved issue. fish can't set themselves on fire. ;) But the absense of pain on a more simple level could relieve things such as swimming into a much colder enviroment and still be able to go on about yer business or escaping from a predator if your are wounded. and I'm not sure if it's all sensations or just pain. But on the human aspect...There are times Id love to be without pain. But i do see your point on catching oneself on fire. ouch.

mygrain said:
Err...Arty...genetics passes all kinds of bad things from one generation to another- obesity, mental problems, deformities to name a few...our species IS weaking because we keep our sick ALIVE by flooding them with antibiotics and medications. Its these steps we take to cheat death is what is going to cause mother nature to really sock it to us. If ya think that humans art not trying to preserve human existense then why is the life expectancy of the human male only increasing over the centuries...because modern medical technologies is changing evoloution bit by bit. If we left the weeding out of the sick and old to mother nature...it would be much harsher and much more reliable than what we as humans are doing to our species.

and ummm...i meant fish, not humans on the whole more/less evolved issue. fish can't set themselves on fire. ;) But the absense of pain on a more simple level could relieve things such as swimming into a much colder enviroment and still be able to go on about yer business or escaping from a predator if your are wounded. and I'm not sure if it's all sensations or just pain. But on the human aspect...There are times Id love to be without pain. But i do see your point on catching oneself on fire. ouch.

Hehe glad you see my points...but I forgot to mention I didnt mean people nowerdays, but in the wild, sorry, my mistake.

as for the fish thing, fair doo's I miss understoon yah.

Thanks for explaining it to me, I see what yah mean now...and I think we both practically agree :)

MDowdey said:
would you put your grandmother to sleep if she had three months to live and was laying in pain but still able to function somewhat?

the question still stands, and im not sure anyone has a good reason for why we do this to animals.

md

I often wonder this myself... Although - if I was old & dying - I would wanna be put to sleep...

I suppose people just don't care about animals as much as people. (Plus the vet is more expensive than the hospital)...

When we had my cat put down, she was extremely old... and she kept going next door - and I would have to go and get her... And usually a reasonably viscous cat if you touched her - she just let me pick her up and take her home... We took her to the vet - and he opened her mouth.... All her teeth were rotten! and she had hardly any left - and they were just hanging... And he felt her a bit, and decided her kidney's had failed aswell... (likely from not being able to eat - which she hadn't done for days)... I have never felt so terrible in my whole life... its almost like we killed her because we couldn't let her eat dry food, because she would throw it back up straight away... she had to be put down because there was so much damage...

I suppose in those situations, there isn't much you can do... However, if it was a person - more would be done...

I think the only difference is humans have a self awareness and when were healthy we want to live, so we figure we will feel the same when were older.

We do have living wills though, so if were brain dead or something, they wont hook you up to a machine so youll live another 10 years or what ever.

Also some people refuse some medical treatment, which could result in death. I think its the Mormons that refuse to do blood transfers or what ever its called.

Most reactions

Back