guide me oh photo masters.. which body demands my purchase? d90 or d300?

One good excuse for the D300: it's compatible with 99% of all the lenses nikon ever made, the D90 isn't.

With a D90, any non-cpu lens will leave you without light metering.

While it's a good idea to have the modern AF-S lenses for your common focal lengths; it's very expensive to buy pro lenses for extreme focal lengths (ultra wide, telephoto and macro). You can save hundreds, without sacrificing image quality, by using older MF lenses for these purposes.

For example, I just picked up a 300mm f4 AIS ED lens for $230... to achieve the same IQ with a modern lens I'd have to pay over $1000! I achieved similar savings for my macro and wide angle lenses. All told, I saved over $2000 on three lenses, compared to the used prices of similar quality af lenses.

One good excuse for the D300: it's compatible with 99% of all the lenses nikon ever made, the D90 isn't.

With a D90, any non-cpu lens will leave you without light metering.

While it's a good idea to have the modern AF-S lenses for your common focal lengths; it's very expensive to buy pro lenses for extreme focal lengths (ultra wide, telephoto and macro). You can save hundreds, without sacrificing image quality, by using older MF lenses for these purposes.

For example, I just picked up a 300mm f4 AIS ED lens for $230... to achieve the same IQ with a modern lens I'd have to pay over $1000! I achieved similar savings for my macro and wide angle lenses. All told, I saved over $2000 on three lenses, compared to the used prices of similar quality af lenses.

thanks. thats a great point. and saving money is definitely a priority.. thats helpful to know. and also i can use it as ammo when i have to explain to my mother that i spent about a grand on just a camera :lol:

DONE. so i bought the d300!! thanks everyone for your help! i finally found one for under 1000 and snagged it before anyone else could!

the shipping cant go any slower!!

now next item on the list.. a 200mm f/2.8. probably the nikkor 80-200..

DONE. so i bought the d300!! thanks everyone for your help! i finally found one for under 1000 and snagged it before anyone else could!

the shipping cant go any slower!!

now next item on the list.. a 200mm f/2.8. probably the nikkor 80-200..

are you telling me I could of got a D300 for only around 300$ more than my d90? oh well.

Have fun with it!

Most reactions

Back