Gulls at Sunset, Looking for feedback

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Adour, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Adour

Adour TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all,

With all the unusual fog and cloud down here in San Diego I thought I would see if it would give some good sunset conditions.

I managed to get a collection of shots as the Gulls were landing right as the sun went below the marine layer, this is the best one (although I think I will put 3 or so together in a sequence).

What I would like to know is which edit people prefer; the first has some heavy natural vignettes which darkens the mood quiet a lot and I think may be a distraction for the eye into the right of the photo. The second is a tighter crop removing some of the vignette. Anyway, thank you for looking and feel free to C&C.

Thank you,

LJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the bird being out of focus takes away from the shot quite a bit. I wonder if it will sharpen up any?

3. keybq

keybq TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like the second one the best the clouds that stretch all the way across is pretty cool.

4. Adour

Adour TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments,

I looked at sharpening the bird, but because it is a silouette it looks very false with even a slight sharpen.

I see what you mean about it being distracting in the second shot, and I think this is mostly due to the tighter crop. I may have to work on reducing the vingettes in the original size to prevent the blur on the gull becoming distracting. hmmm.

LJ

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm afraid, it is just too obvious - and it is so in both versions - that you missed to focus properly on the bird, which is your primary subject, the sunset sky only serving as your (admittedly nice) background. That would have made this photo a "blooper", if it were mine, and I'd have thrown it away.

6. Adour

Adour TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, I think you are right. As a side note, the birds were never the subject but just happened through a series of shots and gave me an idea.

Thank you all for the honest C&C, it is appreciated.

For practice I completed the set (The initial comments prompted me to do some proper post processing on the shots) and here is the what it came out like:

LJ

[​IMG]

Ps. Having edited properly I am actually now quiet embarassed by the inital post :( All part of the learning process...

7. pixeldawg

pixeldawg TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love the first frame of this. Great composition and pose for the bird. It's "just right"!