guys! solar flares and auroras tonight!

north america, im in NYC ill keep my eyes peeled, but so many tall buildings, pollution, and street lights, i dunno if ill see anything

Here's something ironic, I live in Alaska and I will not see them, no matter how bright they are. We're still getting 18ish hours of sunlight, and the other 6ish hours are closer to twilight. Winter is our best aurora time, can't ever see them in the Summer.

Here's something ironic, I live in Alaska and I will not see them, no matter how bright they are. We're still getting 18ish hours of sunlight, and the other 6ish hours are closer to twilight. Winter is our best aurora time, can't ever see them in the Summer.

I've always been curious, when and for how long do you guys have normal day/night?

I've always been curious, when and for how long do you guys have normal day/night?

It depends where you are in Alaska, it's a HUGE state. I live fairly far south, and even at the equinox, we still have sunrise and sunset. Where I live, at the equinox, we get around 19 hours of sunlight, and 5 hours of night time. I lived in Fairbanks for a year (much further North) and it was closer to around 22-23 hours of daylight to 1-2 hours of night. If you go all the way north (Barrow, or Prudhoe Bay, where the oil is) there are periods where the sun doesn't set or doesn't rise. I spent a couple days in Prudhoe bay in the Summer of 1998 and took a picture of the sun at 1:00am. One of the weirdest things I'd ever seen.

Let's just say that I'm glad it's getting darker at night. Can be tough to get to sleep.

Ok so I'm in the panhandle of the gulf coast, florida....

I am not northern at all but still in north america! haha

Where can I see if I get to see them?

The Sun is only 8½ light-minutes away.

Anything ejected by the Sun that travels at the speed of light only takes 8½ minutes to get from there to here.

Somewhere you have an unobstruted view to the North, (no nearby trees) that has no city/town lights for at least 200 miles along that same line of sight.

The problem for you is the northern part of the sky is so close to the horizon.

Somewhere you have an unobstruted view to the North, (no nearby trees) that has no city/town lights for at least 200 miles along that same line of sight.

The problem for you is the northern part of the sky is so close to the horizon.

Yeah - I'm a little farther north than you (Dallas area) and here, Polaris is only a few degrees above the rooftops (apartment building rooftops, so they're not exactly tall... And I'm on the second floor - I don't think I'd be able to see it at all from the ground.).

I would be extremely surprised if I see anything tonight...

Most reactions

Back